Cable Type Suitable for Outdoor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to add a remote PIR sensor to an existing outside light. The cable will run 5m approx 3m high along a an external wall so will be inaccessible. I'm going to use 3 core and earth.

Question is, is the usual grey (6243Y?) suitable for external use, or should I be looking for something else?

Sponsored Links
Grey T&E is not suitable for outdoors.

Use black flex(ible cable) - the 3 core and earth of which is called 4 core. :)

Yes, thought as much. The existing cable from wall exit point to fitting is grey T&E but there's nothing I can do about that.

Sponsored Links
It will last years but it's not really for outside.
It's not ("really for outside") but, as you say, it will last for years. As I think I've reported before, a little while ago I removed some PVC T+E which has been clipped to an outside wall of my house (with no protection, not even painted) since before I inherited it (so in excess of 35 years ago) and it showed no signs of having significantly' 'deteriorated', either on examination or testing.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back