Cables Between Sips Panels and Cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All,

Shortly going to do a sips garden room kit DIY, so been looking at lots of vids. On one, the cabling was fixed to the outer sheath of the sip, in amongst the battens; and clearly going to be covered up by the cladding. This appeals to me since it avoids surface mounting it inside.

Would the pros be happy doing this? Thanks.

Supplementary Q... Will a small, 4.4 m x 3.0 m 'shed' need a consumer unit; or could the SWA be terminated in a socket, and go from there?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Shortly going to do a sips garden room kit DIY, so been looking at lots of vids. On one, the cabling was fixed to the outer sheath of the sip, in amongst the battens; and clearly going to be covered up by the cladding. This appeals to me since it avoids surface mounting it inside.
Ok.

Would the pros be happy doing this?
Well yes, but as with any method, suitably rated cable must be used after considering any effect the location will have on the cable heating.

Supplementary Q... Will a small, 4.4 m x 3.0 m 'shed' need a consumer unit; or could the SWA be terminated in a socket, and go from there?
Depends on the supply method.

I am afraid this is work that is legally notifiable to the local authority in Wales so you would be better asking your electrician.

I wouldn't touch it, since I am aware of that particular Welsh reg. It was more about whether the low needs in a garden room warranted a CU.

If the supply comes from the CU in the house and all you want is sockets and lights then no CU is required in the room, but if it comes direct from the house supply then you might need a couple of breakers in the room therefore a small CU .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back