Cables in Cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More questions! Hope u lot are not sick of me yet :(

ok my old exterior wall is now an interior wall due to the addition of an extension. Either end there is knock thros been done and as a consequence until I put the door linings in I can see straight through the cavity. What I want to know is if its ok for me to run some cables through this cavity, as its going to be so much easier for me. In particular I want to run 25mm armoured that comes from a fused switch by my meter to my consumer unit and the shortest and most easy route for this is via the cavity into the back of the CU.

Thanks again everyone for all your advice, its been a great help!

Sponsored Links
Cables are not allowed to run in external wall cavitys for a whole number of reasons such as thermal insulation, bridging of cavitys etc.

But as this is an internal wall now then you still have to consider these points as well and how will the cable be supported and is the cable adequate for it's environment?

in that case then I would suspect I should be ok. The only cable running down the cavity on the now internal wall will be the 25mm armoured 3 core to the consumer unit, the only other cables that will run directly through the cavity are all the cables that go from the extension into the original house as thats where the consumer unit is located. The easiest and best route is directly through the wall into the back of the consumer unit.

Many thaks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back