Cables in Vertical Pipe Stack

BJC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to drop some T&E cables down from the loft to the CU. Drop is about 2m in a defunct pipe stack which runs from ground level (2.5m below the CU) to the loft (only two floors, ground and 1st). Reg 527 goes on about sealing the openings after cables are installed to prevent spread of fire but I've no idea what is normally used for this. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
BJC, in a single dwelling there isn't really an issue with fire compartmentation (think of the stairwell!) If you breach a designated fire barrier then, yes, you have to reinstate its fire-stopping capability.

Have you thought about cable support though? (Reg 522-08-04)

According to 527-02-03 it is supposed to be removable but also allow cable movement without affecting the seal quality. Sounds a bit of a tall order. I thought about using a thick ceramic floor tile with a cutout for the cables, possibly sealed with some sort of gunge. What do the professionals do in these circumstances - not use pipe stacks?

Dingbat, our posts seem to have crossed. I was aware of the support issue but the OSG (Appendix 4, note 7) appears to allow up to a 5m drop for PVC as long as suitably supported at the top.

The pipe stack goes between two seprate dwellings although there is no fire proofing at present (doesn't mean it shouldn't be there). I had a look at the Hilti site and found their fire proof bricks, bungs, etc., so plenty bits to choose from. If I can get my hands on them at a reasonable price then I'll go that route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back