Cables on top of RSJ and under Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I would like to have my ring main extended to add a socket, but the joists are full of notches and holes from the previous owner's 'work', so I don't really want anyone to go adding anymore holes, and I'm not keen to see anymore cables crammed into the existing holes.

There is an easily accesible 30x30mm gap under the joists and on top of the RSJ where the new cable could be routed to cross the joists.

The joists cross on top of two timber strips on to of the RSJ that run the length of the RSJ and form a nice channel in which the cable could be routed.

Is it allowable to extend the ring by running the new cable through this gap to get over the door frame and down the wall on the other side?

Or am I just wasting my time getting somebody in to look at it?

The floor is up above the work at the moment, so I'm just wondering before I put it all back down (hopefully for good!)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Taylortwocities,

I'll take a look at those articles.

The route is along the horizontal RSJ on top of the steel but under the joists, in the channel formed by timber battons between the joists and the RSJ. the cable would pass under a couple of joists, then head down the wall in a safe zone above the new socket. Then back up the wall to continue the ring main.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
To me, it seems like the cable would be in a safe zone,
It is withing 150mm of the top of the room. It is more than 50mm beneath the upstairs floorboards as it is under the joist.

In anycase, it is protected by the steel beneath.

Crushing isn't really an issue, as if the joists can crush the cable, the upstairs floor would already have dropped by 30mm, so the crushed cable would be the least thing to worry about.

The RSJ isn't exposed anywhere so technically it doesn't have to be bonded.

I can't find any info specific to running along voids above RSJs.

Maybe there isn't anything specific about routing along RSJs as it isn't a problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back