Cables to consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the regs for connection to a consumer unit. My CU is under the stairs and the cable are clipped to the wall and run directly into the unit. Shouldn't they be in conduit?

Sponsored Links
The regs state that cables should be protected from all sorts of damage, the main one in this case I would imagine is mechanical damage, ie. knocking them with hoover, bike etc. when putting them under the stairs.
Although its good practice and looks better to enclose cables as they enter the CU, if they are sheathed (Twin & Earth) cables and whoever put them in considered the risk of damage to be small, then there is no reg as such. I would personally enclose them where possible.

However, there ARE regs governing the size of the holes through which the cables enter the CU. If they come in through the bottom or (hopefully not!) the top, then there is the danger of prying fingers or screwdrivers accessing live parts inside the CU. Hope that's clear as mud! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back