Cabling in wall safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just a quick thank you to everyone who has helped me already it has been much appreciated. Two last questions. i'm currently adding a spur to a socket in the house. Most of the cable will be run behind a cupboard. Is it safer to run a cable above the plaster on the wall or dig a channel into the plasterboard and run it through there. Similarly if i dig a channel is it ok to nail secure it to the plasterboard and leave it open or is it safer with electrcl fires etc to plaster over and fill in the channel.

Finally i'm aware of the whole thing of safe zones. The way i'm thingking of running the cable would be so so much eaier if i could run down and the across which i gather is not acceptable. Are safe zones only applicablefor solid walls not stud walls, as surely someone with any sense would use a wire detector on a stud wall before they start drilling?

ANy ideas would be great. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Safe zones apply to all walls.

If it's plasterboard you can normally fish it through a series of small holes so minimal making good, rather than channel.

another option is to use a bit of D-line trunking- semi circular, run above the skirting board + paint to match and it'll hardly show.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back