cad software wont work on new pc with win 10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used to do cad drawings with autocad 2000 software. And i just cant get along with other versions.
I have had to run a virtualbox program to run this in the past, but have forgotten how to configure things. Its just a major headache to work through the various settings, and to not have a fatal error when the program runs in the virtual machine.

I need to run windows xp on a virtual machine , running autocad 2000, which has access to my printer and local drives. Can anyone describe what steps i should take please?

I have a win 10 laptop 64bit with 8gb ram.

Sponsored Links
I had this problem a few years back. My design suite ( Schematics and PCB layout ) runs on DOS 6. It did run slowly in a DOS window on early version of Windows, I found the most effective solution was to buy a reconditioned PC loaded with DOS 6 as it operating system.

This may suit you.

Another perhaps :-

I run VMWare Player latest version on Win10 Pro, desktop - A pretty quick thing in it's day (built 2012) i7 based.

Have several VMs running from a 2TB WD Black mech' drive - Samsung 860 500GB SSD is host system drive (A snip right now at circa £70).

Win7 Ultimate 32bit runs Vector Cadd from the 90's, all else is 64bit - Ubuntu 19.1 - for the heck of it, A further Win10 Pro for try out purposes.

Perseverence will be rewarded - With the right kit - you'd hardly notice running in a VM. (I can run both Wins10 and Ubuntu - playing same video on YTube without stutter all at the same time... 8 y/o kit can still poke on a bit.

-0-

Found this doing a quick search. Any good?

https://blog.longbowsoftware.com/installing-autocad-2000-on-windows-7-or-windows-8/

It also includes Windows 10.

I agree with others that using a VM might be best, or even buying an old PC just for this package, but if you can get it to run natively on Windows 10, that would be ideal. BTW, is Autocad 2000 a 16 or 32-bit application? I would suspect it is 32-bit (as Win2000 was 32bit) but I could be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back