CAI Monkeys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I won't let your comments spoil another thread started by a sensible request for help.

No I am referring to CAI registered installers, not those monkeys employed by the likes of sky. The wiring regs apply to electrics not aerial installation.
Oh from that I take it you are referring to the people who go round drilling and plugging a hole every half meter then installing a little white block and tywrapping a bundle of white cables with natural Tywraps around blocks of flats, the same people who drive around in vans claiming to be members of... oh it just happens to be CAI... oh and the letter headed documentation for the job also makes the same claim.
Oh and I nearly forgot the bundle gets idly chucked over the roof to the next block in the complex, and the next...

Getting back to the white blocks which are not UV stable start breaking up in the sunlight, oh and lets not forget the natural tywraps are also not UV stable. First the bundle of cable sags and looks a right mess shortly followed by either the wrong Tywrap or the wrong block falling apart. As soon as one fixing fail the next quickly follows suit and in no time the whole bundle is hanging on the F type plugs in the rusty steel enclosure housing the DA. Oh yeah a proper job by a professional... Actually your 'monkeys' can often look at the experts job and feel proud that theirs is at least still in place.

It may sound like I'm slagging them off but in reality I love them, well I love the amount of work I've had out of putting the mess right.

Let's face it the work done in the other thread is poor, in fact I'll go further and say it's appalling but to correct the mess takes only a little effort from anyone with half a brain cell to make it look tidy. It does NOT need any trade in particular to add a few cable clips or a piece of mini trunking and a plate. It's the sort of work done by electricians all day and every day, the same is true for telecoms, controls, beer pumps, POS, fish tanks and the list goes on and on and on.

Sponsored Links
Getting back to the white blocks which are not UV stable start breaking up in the sunlight, oh and lets not forget the natural tywraps are also not UV stable..

[tangential aside]
I don't think a lot of Black tye wraps are UV stable either, unless you go out your way to order ones that are, probably last longer than the natural ones through, maybe in the odd circumstance it does matter though https://assets.publishing.service.g...ta/file/705196/R062018_180509_Abergavenny.pdf
[/tangential aside]

Let's face it the work done in the other thread is poor, in fact I'll go further and say it's appalling .

To be fair do we even know who done it, or if he charged, sounds more like her partners friend may have done it as a favour

To be fair do we even know who done it, or if he charged, sounds more like her partners friend may have done it as a favour
I completely agree and I'd like to think it wasn't done by someone who is accustomed to such work.

Sponsored Links
Aerial work done by sparks is often abysmal. Sockets wired as rings, poor quality cables used, unscreened sockets to name just a few. Sparks generally don’t have the correct signal meters either.

Aerial work done by sparks is often abysmal. Sockets wired as rings, poor quality cables used, unscreened sockets to name just a few. Sparks generally don’t have the correct signal meters either.
I don't disagree with that and at the same time I'll say I've come across some terrible electrical work by so called qualified electricians but the description of cabled TV systems in my OP by CAI members is fairly typical and shoddy so I see no reason whatsoever to impress upon someone they need a CAI registered person when they come on this forum for advice on how to tidy a horrible installation, when pretty much any Tom, Dick or Harry is capable of popping a few cable clips in.
Secondly you failed to give full advice, the second cable is a power cable and not a TV aerial cable. Therefore you should have offered they needed 2 contractors as neither would have been qualified for both services.

Aerial work done by sparks is often abysmal.
Undoubtedly true but, unfortunately, at least in terms of 'domestic work', the same also seems true of many an "aerial installer".

As we know in relation to "registered" electricians (CPS Scheme members) being "registered" unfortunately often proves little/nothing beyond the fact that the individual is up-to-date in paying registration fees, and (yet again unfortunately) certainly offers no guarantee of good, or even necessarily competent, work.

[tangential aside]
I don't think a lot of Black tye wraps are UV stable either, unless you go out your way to order ones that are, probably last longer than the natural ones through, maybe in the odd circumstance it does matter though https://assets.publishing.service.g...ta/file/705196/R062018_180509_Abergavenny.pdf
[/tangential aside]
Thanks for this Adam. That is a brilliant report and para 40 to 44 should be read by everybody on this forum and as this thread is targeted at an industry where such installation methods are probably more prolific than electricians, they need to pay particular attention to it.

Comparing my OP with those para's I see incredible similarities.

Thanks again Adam for finding it and providing the link.

EDIT: For what it's worth the last time I purchased cable ties for aerial rigging they were £28 for a pack of 100 back in 2011, certainly not something I've personally every seen a CAI using.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back