Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife purchased the above oven recently
The ratings are as follows
Voltage 230-240 volts
Power 3200-3500 w
Current 13-14 a
My question is can I plug this into the ring main or do I have to install a separate circuit
I have run a length of 6mm twin and earth cable from the front oh the house next to the consumer unit to the area where the oven will be fitted while I was decorating recently approx 15 metres these are not connected to anything

Sponsored Links
From what you state, it cannot be plugged in to anything.

However, the instructions may indicate that the full amount of power (3500W) may not be able to be drawn at any one time, so then you could.

So would it be best to connect via the 6 mm cable
As EFLI said, not necessarily (although it would probably be best, even if 'plugging it in' were an option). I presume it doesn't come with a plu attached? What do the instructions say about how it should be connected to the electricity supply?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
These are the connection instructions

An approved suitable cable must be connected from the Consumer Unit (main fuse box)and be protected by its own 30amp fuse or Micro Circuit Breaker (MCB).
The electrician must provide a fused double-pole isolation switch, which disconnects both the line (live) and neutral conductors, with a contact separation of at least 3 mm incorporated into the fixed wiring. The fused switch should be fitted to the kitchen wall, and must be placed in an easy accessible position in accordance with IEE regulations. Connect the fused switch to a junction box which should be fitted on the wall. The ovens power supply cable can then be connected. Connect one end to the junction box and connect the other end
to the ovens power connection box which is located at the back of the oven. Remove the cover of the power connection box and install the cable, in accordance with the connection diagram. The power supply cable must be positioned away from direct heat sources. It should not be subjected to a temperature rise of more than 50°C above room temperature.

For this oven, the cable type must be a minimum of H05VV-F (PVC insulated and sheathed) 3 cores x 1.5mm2 and the connection should be made as detailed below.
Green / Yellow (Earth) to the PE ( ) terminal Brown (Live) wire to the terminal marked L
Blue (Neutral) wire to the the terminal marked N
Ensure the cable exits through the cable grip clamping on the outer sheath of the cable and fix in place by tightening the fixing screw.
Ensure all screws are adequately tightened. Do not over tighten as you may risk damaging the screw threads.

Click here to see thread from a year ago (including a link to the manual).

As can be seen, it doesn't make a lot of sense. As per the OP there, the current is stated as 13-14A. However, the manual calls for a circuit protected by a 30A fuse or MCB, with the connection to the oven via a "fused switch on the kitchen wall" (presumably a switched FCU, hence with 13A max fuse).

Edit: - ah, the OP beat me to it by a couple of minutes (whilst I was typing), but it still doesn't make much sense!

Kind Regards, John

My question is can I plug this into the ring main or do I have to install a separate circuit
I have run a length of 6mm twin and earth cable from the front oh the house next to the consumer unit to the area where the oven will be fitted while I was decorating recently approx 15 metres these are not connected to anything
If you put it on a separate circuit then you will need to comply with the Building Regulations Approved document part P regarding notification to your Local Authority Building Control - this can be done yourself but is invariably cheaper via a registered electrician.
If you do intend to do it yourself the LABC's and the manufacturers instructions must be followed and the installation should comply with BS7671..
You will need to determined the actual power rating but since you have already laid the 6mm ² T&E cable, subject to insulation issues, that should cover you for most electric ovens and certainly this one.
You will need to install a 32A MCB and RCD or an 32A RCBO at the Consumer Unit end.
The 6mm ² cable should run to a 45A cooker switch and then preferably to a cooker connection unit.
From this you run the appropriately sized heat resistant flexible cable to the oven - unless the oven already came with the correctly rated cable in which case use that.

You will need to install a 32A MCB and RCD or an 32A RCBO at the Consumer Unit end. The 6mm ² cable should run to a 45A cooker switch and then preferably to a cooker connection unit.
One would think so but, as I've indicated, having required a 30/32A OPD, the MIs then call for a "fused switch on the kitchen wall" (presumably a 13A SFCU?), which makes little sense.

Kind Regards, John

So what does everyone think the solution is
Well, I would personally say ... forget about plugging it in, forget about the 'fused switch on the kitchen wall' (per manual), and do as riveralt suggested. However, as he pointed out, this new circuit would be 'notofiable work', so it would almost certainly be cheaper for you to get a self-certifying electrician to do it than to consider doing it yourself (and paying the notification fee).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back