JP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I am to install a new oven, tech spec as follows,

Total Connected Load (kw) 4.3
Maximum Voltage (Volts) 240
Maximum Current Draw (Amps) 19

Do I need to run a separate cable to the consumer unit ? 6mm ?
The current oven is just plugged into the ring main.

If anybody has any links to any sites to help with this I would appreciate it.

Regards
JP

Sponsored Links
yes any cooker over 3k needs a dedicated cuircuit

i would run 6mm or even 10mm cable even though it is not technically needed atm in case you or a future occupier want to fit all electric cooksing in future

run 6mm or 10mm from a 20A (32A if the control unit has a socket) breaker in the cu (this can easilly be replaced if an all electric coooker is fitted) to a ccoker control unit near the cooker

from here run in more of the same size to a cooker conection plate behind the cooker

and finally run to the cooker in 6mm cable (you probablly won't get 10mm into the terminals)

Cheers Plugwash.

Does this mean that if I can persuade the missus to have an oven upto 3Kw I can just run it off the ring main ?

yes ovens of 3kw or below just plug into a normal socket but there is the issue of possiblly overloading the ring particularlly if you have a lot of other high power appliances in the kitchen

if you have a wooden ground floor with enough space to crawl in running a dedicated cuircuit shouldn't be too hard

in our house we have a group of loose boards in the cupboard under the stairs giving easy access to climp down into the floor viod and run cables :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back