calculating dead load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there a formula for easily calculating the dead load of a building with a 100mm brick outer leaf, 75mm cavity and 100mm block work inner leaf. I have tried to calculate the dead load by calculating the weight of all the masonry work(m3)in kg then converting it to a force by multiply by 9.81 to get kN. To get dead load i have then divided total weight by total building area(M2. Does this sound right i have a figure of 1.7 kn/m2 or am way off the right method. Any help appriciated

Sponsored Links
You also need to include all the other elements of your house:-

Floors
roof
furniture etc

Can I ask why you specifically need to know the dead load?

You wouldnt divide by total building area.. A typical dead load for a cavity wall would be about 4.5kN/m run(conservative).

What do you need the load for?

Sponsored Links
richjacq said:
is there a formula for easily calculating the dead load of a building with a 100mm brick outer leaf, 75mm cavity and 100mm block work inner leaf. I have tried to calculate the dead load by calculating the weight of all the masonry work(m3)in kg then converting it to a force by multiply by 9.81 to get kN. To get dead load i have then divided total weight by total building area(M2. Does this sound right i have a figure of 1.7 kn/m2 or am way off the right method. Any help appriciated
Hi,

I am converting my integral garage into a kitchen. This will involve removing part of a load bearing wall.

I have spoken to the local BC who require calculations to support (pardon the pun) the choice/size of beam used. I have no idea where to start . I assume that your query was for a simular reason.? If it was can you give me any tips?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back