Caledonian Modular and school closures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It appears that 3 schools erected by this company are of unsound construction with the one in Harlow only being open for 18 months and Caledonian have gone skint, yet another pile of cash the taxpayer will have to fork out for.
Harlow school is now putting up marquees in the grounds, i despair at what this country has become.

Sponsored Links
Is this different to the 150 or so schools being required to shut because of the material (RAAC) being deemed dangerous?

A material that was inspected, approved, and checked to have been "done proper".

Yes, this is structurally unsound and at risk of collapse due to snow loading, wind, i watched this being built during lockdown as it is just up the road from me.
Here's a link to relevant waffle on local news site,

Sponsored Links
It appears that 3 schools erected by this company are of unsound construction with the one in Harlow only being open for 18 months and Caledonian have gone skint, yet another pile of cash the taxpayer will have to fork out for.
Harlow school is now putting up marquees in the grounds, i despair at what this country has become.

This not a new thing. Lightweight modular construction and prefabrication have been commonplace in school building since the 1960's. These industrialised building techniques are generally new and innovative and largely untested. It is also widespread in the NHS estate and has been in the public housing sector for even longer with private housebuilding picking it up extensively since the 1980's. There have been countless examples of new experimental materials and building methods that were thought to be the best thing since sliced bread subsequently proving to be inadequate and buildings failing prematurely

I have yet to see a system that is a patch on tried and tested traditional building methods and yet these "prefabs" are all fully approved and signed off by the statutory building control systems.

Do not despair "at what this country has become", this has been happening in all industrialised countries for over 50 years.

I've not caught up on the Caledonian issue yet so don't know what exactly the imminent danger is, or if it's just a bit bad but and a lot of bluster. Post Grenfell, no not the cladding, but there is a massive concern with high-rise flats of a certain construction that could potentially blow out in an explosion. These flats are solid concrete, have been up for decades and the chances of an explosion of such force occuring are slim to say the lease. And yet, all these are "at risk of imminent danger" as classified by the engineers who ar supposedly in the know. Thats not been in the nes and not high-profile, but checks have been in progress nationally for a good while now.

But the thing is, JD as usual is making a political issue and blaming a particular party, and yet the issues in construction, and with system construction are common and widespread and risk will always be there, and has been there for decades. Otherwise we just build like we did centuries ago and be limited by that.

But the thing is, JD as usual is making a political issue and blaming a particular party, and yet the issues in construction, and with system construction are common and widespread and risk will always be there, and has been there for decades.
He never lets the facts get in the way of a good story.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back