Cambelt Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my Y reg Peugeot 206 serviced yesterday and was told I'd need a new cambelt within the next 3 months - the garage quoted £150 + VAT to supply and fit.

I am a lady so have no idea if this is the right sort of price for this?? :oops:

Please could someone advise if this quote is reasonable??

Sponsored Links
If they're using genuine parts and changing the cambelt and tensioner then this would be about right.

How many miles has the car done?

it's about to hit the 70,000 mark, but i'm told i need a new one within 2 months so can't wait for it to hit the 80,000 miles recommended by my peogeot dealer...

now i'm really confused! i've been phoning round for different quotes and some give me a quote for just the belt, and others the whole cambelt kit including valves! is this kit really necessary? it's a lot more expensive!!

Sponsored Links
Cambelt replacement is preventative maintenance, putting in a new belt before the old one is worn out and breaks (which will damage the engine). Most of the cost will be in labour to dismantle, fit, reassemble and adjust. It is a regular job done every five years or so, and any Peugot dealer should have a standard charge for it.

New valves are only needed if the old ones are damaged (as might happen if the cambelt broke when you were driving along). This would be a much more expensive repair and as i understand it your usual dealer did not say it was necessary, he appears to have been talking about the normal, scheduled replacement of the old belt.

You will not be able to buy the parts and fit them yourself unless you are an accomplished mechanic, it's not like a fanbelt.

If it's £150 from the pugeot dealer then its worth going for as it'll go down in your service book which is always a plus point if you plan on selling the car.

Poonum,it's quite possible your garage detected some noise developing from the tensioner roller,or even the belt itself.So they are playing safe by recommending a belt change earlier than your handbook says.
Experience often causes changes to original service life expectancies.
Vauxhall,some years ago changed from 80000 mile belt changes to 40000 miles.Mainly due to tensioner pulley probs rather than the belt,but the outcome is the same if either fails.Play it safe,get it done,the price quoted is ok.

I had assumed it would be "nn,000 miles or nn months whichever comes first"

I would suggest getting a cambelt kit fitted which includes the
static roller and the tensioner roller. Also renew the auxiliary
belt. If there are signs of leakage from the water pump renew that
too. Labour time is around 3.5 hours for the belt and 4.5 if the water
pump needs doing. In this case you will need antifreeze. This, by the
way, should also be changed every 5 years!

Mike307 said:
I would suggest getting a cambelt kit fitted which includes the
static roller and the tensioner roller. Also renew the auxiliary
belt.

spot on. dont just change the belt, change the tensioners etc (ie go for the full cambelt kit), as has been said valves dont need doing unless the cambelt snapped.

Sponsored Links
Back