Camelot lose lottery license

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK so what...

They have 44000 outlets, so that's 44000 Camelot owned lottery machines that will need replacing, the retailer showing how to use the new machine and then the old ones - what happens to them?
That's a lot of scrap.

Camelot can afford it, after all they made billions but it's a heck of a hit to the e-waste stream.

I wonder who on the gambling commission board has a relative at the new company? lol

Sponsored Links
Camelot set to lose National Lottery licence after 30 years | Daily Mail Online

The firm, previously known as Sazka before it rebranded with an anglicised name during the bidding process, has pledged to double charitable donations to £38billion over the next decade.

But its owner Karel Komarek has faced scrutiny over his links with Russian-state energy giant Gazprom, which is controlled by the Kremlin.

His company MND (Moravske Naftove Doly) formed a joint venture with Gazprom to build an underground gas storage facility in his home country, which opened in Moravia in 2016.

For several years, MND also held a stake in a Czech gas importer that is majority-owned by subsidiaries of Gazprom, although it no longer does so.

The Gambling Commission said it was 'satisfied that no application is impacted by sanctions related to the conflict in Ukraine'.

I'm just guessing here, but did the brown envelopes stop flying?

Please tell me that Richard 'bloody' Branson hasn't stepped in to fill the void.

Sponsored Links
Camelot set to lose National Lottery licence after 30 years | Daily Mail Online

The firm, previously known as Sazka before it rebranded with an anglicised name during the bidding process, has pledged to double charitable donations to £38billion over the next decade.

But its owner Karel Komarek has faced scrutiny over his links with Russian-state energy giant Gazprom, which is controlled by the Kremlin.

His company MND (Moravske Naftove Doly) formed a joint venture with Gazprom to build an underground gas storage facility in his home country, which opened in Moravia in 2016.

For several years, MND also held a stake in a Czech gas importer that is majority-owned by subsidiaries of Gazprom, although it no longer does so.

The Gambling Commission said it was 'satisfied that no application is impacted by sanctions related to the conflict in Ukraine'.

So Camelot isn't even a British company, only in Britain would we outsource a relatively simple business which requires no reliance on foreign expertise or goods, which takes massive profits from the British people to a foreign company, let alone one with Russian links... how is this even allowable?

I seem to recall that The Beardy One offered to run the lottery as a non-profit, but no, the market knew best...

So Camelot isn't even a British company, only in Britain would we outsource a relatively simple business which requires no reliance on foreign expertise or goods, which takes massive profits from the British people to a foreign company, let alone one with Russian links... how is this even allowable?

It was set up as a UK consortium, later bought by Ontario Teachers Pension fund.

What else have you heard

It was set up as a UK consortium, later bought by Ontario Teachers Pension fund.

What else have you heard

I just read from the original post that they weren't British but may have picked it up wrong.

I don't see why such a simple thing couldn't be run by the government and all proceeds go back into the public purse.

Sponsored Links
Back