Camilla's security costs taxpayers £1.8m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The taxpayer is to foot a £1.8million bill for building work and security measures at the Duchess of Cornwall's country home, it has been reported.
A police lodge is being built and extra surveillance equipment such as night vision CCTV installed at Raymill House in Lacock, Wiltshire, according to London's Evening Standard newspaper.
It reported that £850,000 is being paid to a local firm to build the police bungalow, but that others costs included a new tree-lined road up to the house.
A Home Office spokeswoman said: "The bulk of the cost for the police control facility and other associated works at Raymill House are being met centrally by the Home Office.''
She refused to confirm the total cost.
Clarence House said Camilla still viewed Raymill as her family home.
"We don't comment on security but the additional work that is being undertaken has been initiated by the Home Office,'' a spokeswoman said.
"Raymill is seen by the Duchess as her family home and she does continue to spend time there privately.''
Camilla bought the Georgian property, which is close to the Prince of Wales's country estate Highgrove, in 1995.
ok! there are loads of nutters out there that could be a nuisance maybe even hurt her but shouldn't charles be a man and protect her like you and me do if anyone accosts our loved ones? he could sleep with his polo stick by the side of his bed! the royal family have loads of money for their own security its all so undignified lets get shot of them.
maybe we could fob them off on the australians? they already said no to them in victoria but the other states where worried about what they'd be replaced with, it really is a sad reflection of our society that we still have this outdated germanic monarchy.

Sponsored Links
Poor old Charles woke up one morning to find a horse's head on the pillow beside him.

I have related in the past .. An ex Thatcher minister who left office in '89 has a home not too far from us ..
When the person is in residence there are at least 2 visible, armed policemen with automatic weapons... Plus a 4wd vehicle at the front gate, presumably there must be others.
The person is guarded 24/7 all year around .... The cost must be horrendous.
How many recieve such treatment??
:oops:

Sponsored Links
its a shame freddies not here to add his three tuppence worth, he loves charley boy thats how we first met. :LOL:

i am not a royalist...But that's pocket money to what this government waste on many many many useless quango's...Millions-billions-trillions are wasted...

When I hear/read these reports about what this type of thing cost & all the usual trappings of we could build hospitals etc etc. I think what a load of B****cks.
There are so many questions to be asked ie
How is the cost calculated
The people being paided are paying taxes & spending the money
The people working are not being paid by the state to do nothing.
The goods that are being bought are being made or supplied.

All these things & there are probably more just keep the wheels turning.

Ok maybe the odd person overcharges, we are all on the treadmill.

Well said Diy ;) .......there are 3 truisms in life--- Death.........Taxes....and bureauracracy sustaining its self ;)

JohnD said:
Poor old Charles woke up one morning to find a horse's head on the pillow beside him.
He must have said something to her, in no time at all she was with Dodi.

Richardp said:
The taxpayer is to foot a £1.8million bill for building work and security measures at the Duchess of Cornwall's country home, it has been reported..
Well - that's 2.25% of the money saved by not going ahead with the police mergers plan then...

Sponsored Links
Back