Campervan RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping someone is able to help before I test this. Ordered 240 hook up for campervan and came with small consumer unit that had absolutely no instructions. I've tried to wire it up how I think it's me at to go but not 100% sure it's correct so thought I would check with the experts. Attached image shows 240 insert coming into unit and cable at top is a double socket. I'm not sure what the small box is below the trip switch on the right? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a joiner to trade so not the most technical when it comes to electrics.

Thanks
Screenshot_20230420_175759_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Sponsored Links
That doesn't look right - the box on the right is the RCD, it should have a supply L and N it looks like you have L to N supply/load.

Without wishing to be rude, the reason CUs are supplied without wiring instructions is said to be so that people not competent to do the work will not be encouraged to try.

Do not connect yours to a mains supply.

The C25 MCB is linked to the 30 mA type AC module to make the combination into a RCBO, but there must be some internal connection and from the diagram I can't work out how it should be wired. There seems to be one two many terminals, and clearly old stock as type AC no longer used.

Since DIN rail mounted I would throw away the units and fit two proper RCBO's instead one 10 amp and one 6 amp and get type A instead.

Does seem odd to have a diagram showing 4 terminals and the device has 2 + 3 = 5 terminals, some thing wrong there.

This video shows a three phase version of what you have, not seen them for years, did you get it from the "to clear" pile some where.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would not use that item.

If you value the safety of people and property in your camper van then invest in items from a reputable manufacturer sold by a reputable UK company, Even better employ an electrician to supply and install the equipment.

That may seem harsh but experience is that dubious items can fail to operate when there is a fault that requires them to operate.

Seem to remember the proper caravan/camper van consumer unit included a polarity test and a switch to reverse polarity, mainly for when using abroad, as German plugs can be inserted the wrong way around.

And normally all the MCB's are double pole, due to it being so easy to have line and neutral swapped.

The Campsite I've used in Germany normally just has the standard 16A three pin socket outlets. Sounds a good idea though.

German campsites are required by the regs to have blue commando sockets but not all comply. It‘s considered at the very least good practice to have double-pole MCBs in campers and caravans.

I suspect the bottom screw on the MCB part of the combo is only used to feed power into the MCB from the RCD module but you‘d have to do a quick continuity test to verify that. That’s just a theoretical consideration though, as I whole-heartedly agree with the suggestions of replacing the guts of the CU entirely.

Half the sockets I have connected to in Europe have live and Neutral the wrong way around.

You can get a reversible connection that is deliberately cross wired to change the polarity. Suitably identified of course and a simple polarity checker will let you know if it needs to be used or not.

I have wired a caravan, but it was many years ago, on the building of Sizewell 'B' station, but at that time the site supply was very low, around 6 amp, and the caravan electrics were designed so turning kettle (reduced wattage) on auto turned heating off, since then we have in the main standardised at 16 amp and also fit RCD's in series, one on the site and one in the caravan, and we have rules like TN-C-S not permitted, etc.

So after that stay in Leiston Cake & Ales caravan site all those years ago, I have bought caravans with all the electrics built in when manufactured, I will admit one does some times wonder about the systems used, having the consumer unit in a cupboard in the bathroom did seem odd. It would not have been allowed if not a mobile home.

I see kits being sold
s-l500.jpg
£300 and even includes a roll of insulation tape, and states
1 x pre wired split charge kit with 4meters of cable from the main vehicle battery and 2 meters from the split charge controller to the leisure battery. All cables are labeled up so you know exactly where to connect them.
but today we have stop/start technology so split charging relays don't work any more, we use DC to DC inverters, I do like the switch plate,
s-l1600.jpg
it really looks good, but really wiring a camper van like this may have been the bees knees in the days of the Bedford CF van, and old transit with Perkins engine, but today we have moved on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back