Campsite Soil/Waste design (Please help)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to start building a timber frame toilet/shower building on a concrete slab. Before i pour the concrete, i want to leave a channel down the centre (length ways) of the slab for a 110mm sewer pipe, and all the connection junctions for the 6 toilets, 6 basins, and 4 showers. I thought this would be the best option, and a safer bet to get all the drainage connections lined up before i fill with concrete

Once i've got the correct fall, and the sewer pipe links up with the septic tank, i plan to to fill the channel in with concrete, allowing me to construct the timber frame, and start on the interior.

I've spoken to a plumber today, and he's given me some pointers on the design, and how best to lay the soil pipe and connections, before i fill the channel in with concrete and seal it forever.

I hope he know what he's doing?????? worried to say the least :rolleyes:

Does this sound like the right way to go? Can anyone foresee any problems? Any better ways of doing it?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Surely you were not thinking of concealing all of those connections and junctions under solid concrete?
What happens when it gets blocked up?

Can't see how a single 110mm pipe could possibly be adequate for all of those toilets and other wastes.
A side connection onto the main line generally means you can't have a connection directly opposite for obvious reasons.
How big is the septic tank? Is it a new one just for this building?

This obviously hasn't been anywhere near building control yet. If it had, you would already know the answer - no way!

Thanks for the response. No, nowhere building control yet. Haven't even prepared the forms for the slab yet. Just wanted to get this sorted before i do anything. Obviously, all the drainage needs will have to run down the centre of the building toward the septic tank. The septic will be 14,000 litres, which should be adequate for the size of campesite (40 pitches)

I could stagger the WC connection so they wouldn't be opposite each other.

Do you think a 160mm soil pipe would be more suitable?

I cant really think of anyway to do it??? I'm struggling

If its a campsite privvy block i'm sure asthetics dont matter too much! W.C.'s can be fitted onto a manifold arrangement, going into a stub stack to the drain, with the vent at the top end. See here: http://www.marleyplumbinganddrainage.com/self_builder/content/6/492/wc-manifold-system.html

The basins can be connected via a boss as required. Showers, connection to a gulley (sealed type may be preferable), gulley in turn can be connected to the drain. Rodding access is available if a bottle type gulley is used.

I'd fit a chamber outside the building to give access to the underground run to the tank/from the building. What you do not want to do is bury that lot under concrete and not be able to access sections if the need arises. Bear in mind you'll have little control over what gets flushed way.....

Sponsored Links
If it were me doing it, I'd be inclined to have the WC's backing onto external walls which would mean having two separate drainage runs (one on each side of the buiilding) with accessible rodding points and access chambers. Although this would mean additional pipework, especially supplying water to the sanitaryware , it would make it easier to maintain in terms of blockages.

Thanks Hugh and Flame,

I was considering concreting the main soil pipe in the slab, as i need to put the main partition down the centre of the building splitting the gents and ladies.

I suppose i could place an access bend at the high end of the soil pipe? Is the vent in the correct position/end?

Could the wc manifold drop into a sewage pipe below?

I take it the stub stack would drop straight into the septic tank?

Help? :(

Hi,

I'm about to start building a timber frame building on a concrete slab. ]
Then following what the others have said - have 2 runs of soil/ manifolds on the long outer walls - And have the entrances to the block on the short end walls - the pipework fixed to the outer timber frame is then covered with a low level timber boxing , incorporating a storage area or 2 :idea: . All above ground - all accesible ( apart from the shower wastes which may have to go through a bit of concrete and out through wall( due to level of waste ) All done after slab is laid - incorporated in the timber as it goes up. PS if you need to put the dividing wall down the centre you can have the walkways backing onto each other , not the cubicles

Further to that - you have windows in the back of each cubicle . And just put up a wooden " modesty screen " outside the building , seeing as the entrances are next to each other on the short end of the block ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back