Camray Quartet broken

Problem identified but not solved yet

The problem is the fan, what is happening is that it is slipping on the motor spindle and jamming against the metal cover (which does exists and is a sort of clamshell case secured by 3 screws).

Looking closer at the spindle of the motor it looks like the fan grub screw has over the years (15 odd) ended up notching a groove and so when the fan is secured in the correct place it is moving out a bit eventually and then stopping.

So fan is issue but I suspect that I cannot just replace the spindle on the motor and so unless I can think of another safe way to keep the fan in place (perhaps drilling a deeper indentation at the correct part of the groove ) then it will be a fan motor replacement just to get a undamaged spindle,

Sponsored Links
Yet you stated in opening post that the impellor was stuck and immovable.

Stop fooking around man!!!

I have never known of an impellor slipping and forming a groove on motor shaft.

You have obviously never had it serviced.

Depending on how adept you are, the damaged shaft could be built up by using epoxy putty or solder......you'd need to strip the motor for solder, but the epoxy could be used in situ.
John :)

I ordered a new fan motor, I can look at taking apart the old one later on to see if it can be salvaged for an emergency spare part (I often get snowed in for a couple of weeks so I like to spares for some things (like my water supply pump) anyway.

Thanks for the epoxy tip.

Just hope the new motor fits ok, the part has been replaced by a newer version but given that reillo told me of the change I can but assume it will fit ok.

Hopefully will have the part next week and should be free at the weekend to give it a go.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if you have a new impeller (yet) but best to fit one too - just in case the hole has worn oval.
John :)

yes I got that part first, that's when I realised there was a groove in the spindle and the old one was slipping on it.

Fan now replaced (takes a while since I have an issue with getting deliveries during the day when signatures are requierd).

Anyway old fan looked fine, certainly fine at the oil pump end but clearing something was amiss slightly inside (I presume a bearing but have not opened it up to see yet).

New fan is slightly different from old one (was a revised part number) but the only visible difference is that the spindle may be fractionally longer.

All up and running now (new fan, new impellor) and the fan now turns fine each time the unit is fired and is nice and quiet again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back