Can’t separate hot water and central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I’ve a had a search through these forums and haven’t found the answer to this, but if it has been discussed before just point me in the right direction!
We live in a house which is around 14 years old. It’s fairly modern in most respects but I’m not sure how the plumbing has been set up. I’m a complete noob to plumbing. We have a Grasslin Towerchron QM2 controlling our heating and hot water. For some reason if we want hot water, and switch on only the hot water switch on the panel, the radiators on the ground floor of the house also get hot. That’s a major problem during the summer when the house is boiling because we need hot water.

It’s also diverting hot water away from the taps because there’s never enough for a deep bath. It will start running cold again even after the boiler has been on for hours.

I took off the front panel of the Grasslin and there’s no wires connected to the HW OFF or CH OFF. Picture attached.

I’ve also taken photos of the boiler set up.
If any kind person can offer me any advice on what is like the issue I will be so, so grateful.

upload_2019-12-28_19-32-34.jpeg

upload_2019-12-28_19-33-5.jpeg

upload_2019-12-28_19-33-26.jpeg

upload_2019-12-28_19-34-26.jpeg

upload_2019-12-28_19-34-45.jpeg
upload_2019-12-28_19-32-34.jpeg upload_2019-12-28_19-33-5.jpeg upload_2019-12-28_19-33-26.jpeg upload_2019-12-28_19-33-47.jpeg upload_2019-12-28_19-34-26.jpeg

Sponsored Links
As you dont have HW off wired in it sounds like you have an S plan so you will have 2 x 2 port valves, try and find them and post pics of which ones you have

Does not need wires to off connection.
Almost certain there will be two two port valves as one is always required for unvented cylinder
Get a heating engineer in. Perhaps replace the room thermostat with a programmable room thermostat.
Quite likely your motorised valves are passing or defective ( poor hot water heating)

Suggest you also find out why you have 2 pumps installed.

Is this a particularly large house?
What does the cable for the yellow bodied pump connect to at the other end?

Sponsored Links
Suggest you also find out why you have 2 pumps installed.

Is this a particularly large house?
What does the cable for the yellow bodied pump connect to at the other end?
Think it is a Bronze secondary HW circulation pump, havent actually seen that exact model before though

Hi all, thanks for helping out already. I’ve snapped what I think are the two valves. The house is not a mansion or anything, it’s a 4 bed. The yellow bodied pump I can’t really tell where or what it’s connected to. If seems to be separate from the red pump though and it’s on the opposite side of the hot press.
Thanks again!

upload_2019-12-28_20-40-22.jpeg

upload_2019-12-28_20-40-41.jpeg

Hi all, thanks for helping out already. I’ve snapped what I think are the two valves. The house is not a mansion or anything, it’s a 4 bed. The yellow bodied pump I can’t really tell where or what it’s connected to. If seems to be separate from the red pump though and it’s on the opposite side of the hot press.
Thanks again!

View attachment 179607
View attachment 179608
Yes that is what you are looking for, one of them is faulty, there is a small ever on the end of each valve, this is for putting the valve into manual position, with CH and HW both turned on these levers should be able to slide across but should show a resistance, with the CH and HW turned on and any thermostats calling for heat they should be very easy to slide across, try that, it sounds like your CH one is jamming open or letting by

on your yellow pump there is writing on the black plastic, would you be able to get a better pic or tell us what the writing says , as in pump make and model number

In your pic with the zone valves it looks like your electric Immersion heater is switched on, this is for emergency back up if your boiler fails and it shouldnt be on

Immersion switch is off now! I’ve snapped a couple of pics of the yellow pump. Are these other photos the levers that you mentioned Ianmcd? I don’t see anything that looks like a traditional lever, except on the opposite wall coming out of the small red water tank in my first post. Thanks everyone for your help!
upload_2019-12-28_21-38-10.jpeg
L
upload_2019-12-28_21-38-32.jpeg

upload_2019-12-28_21-38-54.jpeg

upload_2019-12-28_21-39-14.jpeg

Immersion switch is off now! I’ve snapped a couple of pics of the yellow pump. Are these other photos the levers that you mentioned Ianmcd? I don’t see anything that looks like a traditional lever, except on the opposite wall coming out of the small red water tank in my first post. Thanks everyone for your help!
View attachment 179610L
View attachment 179611

View attachment 179612
View attachment 179613
The yellow pump is indeed a secondary bronze circulating pump as suspected, the levers that you are looking for are at the end of the silver boxes, on the zone valves, not the pump

Attachments

• 2 port zone valve.jpg
    2 port zone valve.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 204
Yes, as you suggested Ian this appears to be the issue. One of the levers had jammed and wouldn’t move. If I have someone who knows what they’re doing replace this, would it possibly fix both my issues of not being able to separate hot water from heating and that there is never enough hot water for baths etc?
Thank you so much!

Yes, as you suggested Ian this appears to be the issue. One of the levers had jammed and wouldn’t move. If I have someone who knows what they’re doing replace this, would it possibly fix both my issues of not being able to separate hot water from heating and that there is never enough hot water for baths etc?
Thank you so much!
Yes , I think that you were heating your HW with the Immersion heater , which doesnt heat the whole cylinder, and that the jammed actuator is the HW one, get the jammed one replaced, and come back on if it doesnt solve everything ,and I will help you some more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back