Can a boiler flue have 2 90o bends & run downwards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a boiler which needs to be raised higher. See photo attached. Can a flue run upwards from the top and horizontally along the top & then downwards beside it before a 90 degree bend exits it into the wall & outside? [/img]

The photo doesn't attach to this post but just click on my profile, its the only pix there & shows the issue.

Sponsored Links
You should move the flue in the wall pipe.
By the age of the boiler I don't think you will find flue pipe
for the boiler any more.

Sponsored Links

The person who disconnected the existing flue should know, is this a rental property? :eek:

This is a new boiler being installed by my neighbour, at the time of the photo the adjoining pipe from the boiler to the wall hadn't been installed. Thing is that its on a stairwell placed very low. Its a large boiler so comes out into the stairwell 65% blocking access to our flat. I told her she could have it moved up & she said because of the flue she couldn't. I believe she could move it upwards & install the flue as per the red lines in the photo. I just really need to know if the gases will escape going downwards through the flue or if they'd need to put it through the wall at a different height.

for the boiler any more.

Its a brand new boiler being installed by my neighbour. If its raised higher on the wall, I need to know if the gases would flow through a flue which goes downward as shown in the pipe drawn in red?

How far is that flue from the window?

About a meter. Do you know if a flue can run downwards?

No, I don't actually. And probably no one will without knowing the make and model. The best bet is to ask the manufacturer or consult the MI's. However, bends are normally at least £35 each and a length will be at least another £40. Why not just reposition the hole?

for the boiler any more.

Its a brand new boiler being installed by my neighbour. If its raised higher on the wall, I need to know if the gases would flow through a flue which goes downward as shown in the pipe drawn in red?

If it's condensing then no.
What brand is it?

How far is that flue from the window?

About a meter. Do you know if a flue can run downwards?

No, I don't actually. And probably no one will without knowing the make and model. The best bet is to ask the manufacturer or consult the MI's. However, bends are normally at least £35 each and a length will be at least another £40. Why not just reposition the hole?

Its a Viessmann Vitodens 111. The woman having it installed has refused to create another hole. She can afford the new pipes though. I'll try & find the guide for it.

for the boiler any more.

If it's condensing then no.
What brand is it?

Its a Viessmann Vitodens 111

Maybe someone makes a high-temperature booster fan for this application in order to overcome the extra flow resistance but you'd have to make sure this fix would be compatible with everything else.

The fan is a safety device and no you can't install a flue like that, no way.
Tell the woman who is blocking 65% access to your flat that she'll have to move it or have a higher hole core drilled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back