Can a boiler flue have 2 90o bends & run downwards?

Speaking of blocking, this may also be a legal issue and so she may be compelled to make whatever modifications are necessary.
Over here this would fall under Landlord/Tenant Law.

Sponsored Links
If it's in a stairwell and partially blocking access to your flat I would call the local authority and get a building inspector out to have a look especially if it's your route out of the building if there's a fire. Was there a boiler there before?

im a little bit confused as to whats blocking what and how

Me too. Maybe I'm too cynical but sounds like a DIY job.
Why is the backing board higher than boiler and maybe I'm wrong but is the spur upside down?

Surely coring new hole is easiest way to fix, although it certainly doesn't look like 1m from window as prev said.

Sponsored Links
surely stair well is a communal space owned by the freeholder? how on earth would that be allowed? Im sure there must be more to this story.

There usually is far more to these stories.

Simply a flue for a condensing boiler must slope UPWARDS away from the boiler!

The flue must terminate outside at least 300 from any window reveal ( unless a flue diverter has been fitted. ).

Tony

I'd be interested to see some more pics ie side view from the stairs etc
If that is on a stairwell then its never going to look right if it is a communal staircase then I seriously doubt the legality of it being there anyway

Matt

If it's in a stairwell and partially blocking access to your flat I would call the local authority and get a building inspector out to have a look especially if it's your route out of the building if there's a fire. Was there a boiler there before?

Yeah there was, but it was smaller & higher. I heard her tell the engineer when he suggested it goes higher 'No, it needs to be at a height I can reach.' It's definitely a safety issue.

im a little bit confused as to whats blocking what and how

It doesn't show in the photo but the boiler is low and jutting out 65% into the stairwell. Anyone tall will bang their head on it & it will be impossible to move heavy domestic furniture past it.

Me too. Maybe I'm too cynical but sounds like a DIY job.
Why is the backing board higher than boiler and maybe I'm wrong but is the spur upside down?

Surely coring new hole is easiest way to fix, although it certainly doesn't look like 1m from window as prev said.[/quote]

The backing board is where the old boiler was. She has had it brought lower & this boiler is wider than her old one. It juts out into the stairwell 65%. Anyone tall will bang their head & moving large domestic furniture past it will be impossible. The 1 meter was distance from wall to window, the flue is about half a meter. We asked to have the hole moved higher but she refused.

surely stair well is a communal space owned by the freeholder? how on earth would that be allowed? Im sure there must be more to this story.

She is the freeholder - thats why she thinks she can do whatever she wants & finds it objectionable that we question it. I heard her tell the engineer when he suggested it be higher 'No, it needs to be at a height I can reach.' She use a step stool to reach the controls.

There usually is far more to these stories.

Simply a flue for a condensing boiler must slope UPWARDS away from the boiler!

The flue must terminate outside at least 300 from any window reveal ( unless a flue diverter has been fitted. ).

Tony

She is the freeholder - thats why she thinks she can do whatever she wants. So the flue needs to be 300cm or inches from the window reveal? Just measured it - the flue is 40cm from the window frame. Good to know it must slope upwards too.

so are you a tenant or a leaseholder? I think as someone suggested earlier it could contravene fire regs. A visit from building control may be interesting...

I'd be interested to see some more pics ie side view from the stairs etc
If that is on a stairwell then its never going to look right if it is a communal staircase then I seriously doubt the legality of it being there anyway

Matt

Definitely doesn't look right but she's the freeholder so she thinks she can do what she wants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back