Can a central heating programmer be overidden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Flamingo CF35/50 boiler, with a Honeywell ST6400C programmer.

I believe the programmer is broken, so have ordered a replacement. In the meantime, is there a way to manually turn the heating on directly from the boiler?

Its going to take a few days delivery and dont want the family to freeze in this erratic weather.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depending on the type of motorised valve, your only way is to remove the ST programmer from the backplate (there some plastic catches and a screw) and hardwire from the Live to the CH on, then put the front back on to prevent a shock hazard.

If nothing happens you have misdiagnosed the fault, btw!

I believe the programmer is broken, so have ordered a replacement. In the meantime, is there a way to manually turn the heating on directly from the boiler?
What's your evidence that the programmer is faulty? It will be an expensive waste of money if it turns out not to be the programmer!

Have you tried setting the programmer to constant? This usually bypasses the clock and you can then control the heating using the thermostat. Just means getting up earlier in the morning to put it on.

Well, earlier in the year, I managed to knock the programmer and it slightly came away from the backplate. It broke a couple of plastic clasps and I managed to fix it back to the wall, but I think I got the wiring incorrect and only hot water would work, everytime the central heating went to switch on the programmer would appear to trip out and reset itself.

So, leaving it til it was cold (I know, should have fixed this months ago), I attempted to fix again, re-wired according to the diagrams, even tracing the wires back to the mains board (Where all the central heating electric units, pump, control valve, etc) to make sure it was correct. I switched it back on, blew the fuse on the mains board. Now I cant get the programmer to turn back on so thinking it was the programmer, i ordered a new unit (needed one anyway).

So.. I rewired the live to the CH on, and nothing, so im guessing I have misdiagnosed.

Where should I start testing? To be honest, im not even sure electric is even getting to the mains board now, but the main fuse box hasnt tripped at all.. so now im really lost!

Sponsored Links
Phone an expert,

or get a wiring diagram from the FAQ's and follow it through.

Its like joint the dots, Timeclock to room stat/tank stat to motorised valve live. Then orange is perm live to valve endswitch, grey to boiler and pump

If its a y plan then its a bit more complex, as you have hotwater off mixed in there from timeclock and tank stat.

Good luck

Thanks guys, I tried to follow the wiring diagrams and everything seems fine, so im going to phone an expert.. so frustrating!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back