Can a extension be wired upstream from the master?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Openreach have installed a new line in the house I've moved into.

The existing master was in the kitchen which the engineer frowned on. He said he could blank that point off and site the master at an extension point but I told him to leave it.

I've now moved the master to the first extension point in the house so the fibre router is better sited for wifi. I've jointed wires 2 and 5 of the cables at the old master point in the kitchen.

Is it feasible to fit an extension plate where the master was in the kitchen, upstream of the master?

Sponsored Links
You mention a fibre router and that you have a pair of wires terminal 2 and 5.

If you have copper wires bringing the line to your house then it is not fibre,

Upstream from the master the incoming pair will have both telephone speech and ADSL ( broadband ) signals on the pair. These are separated at the master where there is an ADSL filter.

From the master there will be two outputs.

One will be unfiltered providing both telephone speech and ADSL (*) for the modem/router.
The other will have only telephone speech, the ADSL being filtered out to prevent it interfering with the telephone speech.

(*) Some types of masters do have a second filter to separate reduce the telephone speech signal on the ADSL output,

Adding a telephone socket upstream will require a socket with an ADSL filter between the incoming pair and the socket.

ADSL signals are degraded by stubs ( spurs ) on the pair upstream from the master,

What I have is Talktalk FTTC and their Fibre 64.

The fibre cabinet is a few hundred yards away. The cable to what was the master position is white so obviously not official BT cable. The engineer didn't seem bothered about that.

I have two telephones and both are two wire so don't need wire 3. I moved the master to what was extension no 1 and the wifi is now excellent. If I can install an extension at what was the master point, albeit upstream of the master, it will be handy to have a telephone in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Its occurred to me that rather than cause issues wiring an extension upstream of the master, I could use two spare wires of the cable running to the master and feed back to the original site of the master to feed an extension socket.

All the cables are 6 core, blue, white ring and white, blue ring being used.

The location of the master now is giving me about 50Mb on wifi.

Its occurred to me that rather than cause issues wiring an extension upstream of the master, I could use two spare wires of the cable running to the master and feed back to the original site of the master to feed an extension socket.

That is an acceptable method,

For some reason, when I got the house, there were master sockets at both the master point and first extension point. I can only presume, based on the cable to the original master being white sheathed (not external cable), it was a diy job.

Unfiltered master sockets are available. BT fitted this as my BT hub is in the rear bedroom

16525463246452348272528168152003.jpg

The filter feeds all the phone sockets except the one in that room where the hub is located.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back