wiring an extension to a LJ3/1A master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need to wire an extension into my existing LJ3/1A BT Master socket so that I can put my router somewhere more convenient.

Can anyone confirm the best way to do this?

My understanding is that only 2 wires from the incoming BT line actually do anything.

From what I've read the capacitor is not needed with modern phones?? is that right?

So the orange goes to terminal 2, and the white goes to terminal 5.

If I then piggy-back my extension line into the same terminals (2 and 5), and run my extension, is that it?

Do I need a slave socket? or a master socket as my extension socket? Presumably a slave will do as the capacitor on the master doesn't do anything anyway??

From what I've read, it would seem so, but it would be great if someone who knows perhaps a little more could confirm my theory.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Sponsored Links
great, thanks.

Out of interest, can anyone tell me the point of the master socket? and why do slaves not have the capacitor or surge protection?

You are not allowed to wire into the back of the master socket. Your wiring must be disconnectable from the BT line by means of a plug and socket (as is provided by a NTE5 / Linebox).

So you would need an extension adapter kit which includes a plug for your wiring to connect into the front of the master socket.

The master socket contains a capacitor (to separate out the AC ringing voltage for the bells), a surge arrestor and a resistor (to maintain a test circuit even if the phone is unplugged). These are not required in extension sockets as all sockets are wired in parallel.

Of course the best thing would be to swap your existing master socket for a Linebox and do the job properly but that's illegal for you to do <walks away whistling nonchalantly>

Sponsored Links
Ok great. Thanks for your reply.

I have two purely hypothetical questions then...

1. if someone was to do as I suggested and wire into the back of a master socket, would the socket on the other end need to be a slave or master? do you need the surge arrestor?

2. if someone was to want to swap the LJ3 master socket for a more modern NTE5 - are they readily available?

Thank you

you can do what they said but what you suggested in the first place will work as well perfectly fine. why make more work for yourself and spend money you don't have to. the capacitor alone in the lju master socket you have will provide a good line test on bt system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back