Can a garden room be attached to the house?

It is all taken care of within Part L1B Existing Dwellings, no need of any special notes or other LABC blurb. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1B_2010.pdf

If the conservatory complies with 3.15 (and 3.16) it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

Taken from this thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278544&start=0[/QUOTE]

3.15 (page 11 of your link)
It is at ground level. The floor area is less than 30m2 (about 12m2 by my reckoning). The external house doors were retained and the heating has not been extended into the conservatory. As we comply with all these 3.16 is not applicable.

By this we could say that this is a conservatory and permitted under PD. Now they just need to find a way to word it all to send to the planners who have visited the site and said "it definitely needs planning permision and building regs".

Sponsored Links
Jeepers, not really in keeping with the fabric of the building is it! :eek:
I can understand why the neighbours would huff and puff a bit.

The problem with wood clad buildings and products is they get worse with age unlike brick buildings.

Appearances aside, the eaves are too high for it to be Permitted Development. It needs planning permission.

Sponsored Links
There's even a little picture on the Portal.

Hmmm I did spot that one in writing and wasnt entirly sure how to inturprete it (thanks for the pic).

So how about if we fit a box gutter and increase the eves/fasia hight on the house to 450mm? IM JOKING!!!!!

So if we were to lower the roof height we would pass?

Is planning required to "spring the roof" increase the facsia/roof hight? I have done this in the past while building lean to conservatorys to allow a suficent roof pitch.

Although I guess this would still mean the eaves would be at or below the houses original eaves hight.

I don’t think I agree with some of the above. In my opinion it does need planning permission as it is not built in materials of similar appearance to the original house – ie brick. See condition A.3(a) of http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/2362/pdfs/uksi_20082362_en.pdf

It should also have building regs approval. L1B 3.15 & 3.16 state when conservatories are exempt, ie this does not define what a conservatory is, just which conservatories are exempt. As far as I know to be a conservatory it needs 75% glazed roof and 50% glazed walls. Even if this rule has been redefined I can’t imagine an extension with three windows is ever going to be considered a conservatory.

I think the 2m that you refer to is a building regs issue, not planning. The building is made of timber so all the external walls are unprotected areas. If the flank wall is between 5.6sqm – 12 sqm (which it is) it must be 2m min from the boundary (Building Regs B4 Diagram 22)

I don’t think I agree with some of the above. In my opinion it does need planning permission as it is not built in materials of similar appearance to the original house – ie brick. See condition A.3(a) of http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/2362/pdfs/uksi_20082362_en.pdf

It should also have building regs approval. L1B 3.15 & 3.16 state when conservatories are exempt, ie this does not define what a conservatory is, just which conservatories are exempt. As far as I know to be a conservatory it needs 75% glazed roof and 50% glazed walls. Even if this rule has been redefined I can’t imagine an extension with three windows is ever going to be considered a conservatory.

I think the 2m that you refer to is a building regs issue, not planning. The building is made of timber so all the external walls are unprotected areas. If the flank wall is between 5.6sqm – 12 sqm (which it is) it must be 2m min from the boundary (Building Regs B4 Diagram 22)

What you say is correct, but he needs to try to get it classed as a conservatory (difficult, I know) in which case the materials need not match so Planning would not be an issue.
Also, b/r would not then apply and no problem with unprotected areas.

That’s an interesting thread Freddy but I’m sure in practice its going to be difficult convincing a building inspector that a timber extension with a solid roof is a conservatory. It will be very interesting to see how Gazman16 gets on with the council.

Keep us posted Gazman

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back