Can anyone advise ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in the middle of three terraced cottages. The neighbour on my right has his own seperate guttering and downpipe at the front and back as do i.

Today a workman knocked on my door and pointed out that the neighbour on my left doesn't have a downpipe at the front and asked if i would object to him fitting one to the said neighbour's property and then connect it to mine nearer ground level. I told him that it was ok and assume he'll be back at a later date to do the work.

Since then i'm wondering what, if anything, it might mean for me. Would it leave me open to shared guttering/drainage disputes ? The drain is very small at approx 5 inches square so would i need to make sure that it will take the extra water ? Or does this seem like a perfectly normal thing to do ?

The neighbouring property isn't very big and has guttering at the front that is enclosed at both ends. Whilst this does seem pointless, the owner has had the property for near on 20 years and the gutter hasn't been mentioned in the ten years i've lived here.

The owner lives a long way away and uses the house for holiday lets. About 4 years ago she was less than honest about some work she was having done and it had quite an affect on the enjoyment of my property. Since initial contact, we do not communicate and if there were any problems i don't know how easy she would be to rectify a problem with. So might i regret my decision ? Or is she legally entitled to connect to my downpipe ?

I know very little about guttering and the law so if anyone here can help before the workman returns, i'd be extremely grateful.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt allow this to happen, it could cause your soakaways to overload with the extra amount of rainwater and submerge your gardens. It could even flood your house!

Strange that they have no downpipe of their own, but thats really their problem, dont let it become yours!

On terrace houses it's not uncommon to see this or worse., As SAS already said it will likely over load your soakaway.
Connecting into your DP is the easy way out of avoiding digging a new pit in your neighbours garden.
Personally I would say I have changed your mind.

Have to second that. Could cause you serious unforeseen problems. The neighbour needs to make their own arrangement for their rainwater, I wouldnt let them couple into any pipe, above or below ground unless you're totally sure its capable of taking the extra water.

Sponsored Links
It might not be on a soakaway, it could connect to a proper surface water drain. Although if it were a soakaway i'd aviod it because you will double the amount of silt/sediment that goes into it and half its life expectancy.

You could insist on a CCTV survey from the gully downstream to check where it does go to. Are there any manholes in the area?

Grange Hill............................JUST SAY NO.

It's the owner's responsibility to 'dispose' of their own water that comes from their roof.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back