Can anyone confirm what this is....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

This is in my living room floor, located about 10 inches from my fireplace.
The floor is concrete ground floor.
I don't actually have a fireplace, just the empty space it used to be. So I'm assuming this is some gas valve for an old fireplace...??
I'm looking to change my carpet to wood laminate and this valve will stick through the middle of one of the laminate boards.
So if anyone can confirm what this is please.
If it helps, the house was built in the 50's.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You may get some indication of whether it's connected or not by looking at your gas meter. It won't be definitive and you will still need a registered gas fitter to check properly but may give you some hope that it won't be a costly job. Is the outlet from you gas meter in copper or barrel pipe and is there any barrel pipe capped off and no longer in use by the meter. It may be that at some point the internal gas has been re-run in copper and the old barrel carcass within the house disconnected and left in place.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info, ALCPlumbing. Just had a quick look at my gas meter and can only see copper pipe out from it. Can't see any barrel pipe capped off. The copper pipe enters through my front wall and then is routed straight up the wall and into the ceiling and I think it runs in the first floor joist space to the back of the house to my combi boiler in my kitchen. So maybe this valve in the ground floor is not live.
I'll still get a gas engineer to check.

You may get some indication of whether it's connected or not by looking at your gas meter. It won't be definitive and you will still need a registered gas fitter to check properly but may give you some hope that it won't be a costly job. Is the outlet from you gas meter in copper or barrel pipe and is there any barrel pipe capped off and no longer in use by the meter. It may be that at some point the internal gas has been re-run in copper and the old barrel carcass within the house disconnected and left in place.
Copper in 15mm, brass 15mm>1/2" Female, 1/2" Iron plug? ;) (I know you said it's not definitive).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back