can anyone help explain my gas usage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
i am hoping that someone on here can help me out with my dilemma....

i am looking for some help to understand what is going on with my boiler (ideal mexico 9 yrs old)
moved in to my house (which is 9 yrs old) on November and have found that i am using lots of gas to heat the house. I expected it to be greater as its a 5 bedroom house, but the usage seems excessive as since january we are using at least 80 units per week. I had set the hot water to be on twice a day for 2 hrs in total as i dont need too much hot water and i have the heating off during the night and also during the day when no one home.
I had a friend who works for scottish gas come out and check my boiler, all seemed fine but he said the boiler was set at maximum 100,000 btu's i think he said. so he set it to the minimum and told me to see how it goes and that the lower setting should burn a lot less gas. after 1 week at this setting i find i am using the same amount of gas.....

so to cut a long story short I am trying to understand why i am still using the same amount of gas after the boiler setting has been turned from max to minimum?

thanks in advance
peter

Sponsored Links
so to cut a long story short I am trying to understand why i am still using the same amount of gas after the boiler setting has been turned from max to minimum?
because the house is still losing heat at the same rate so you have the boiler on longer/stat turned up higher to compensate.

Live with the gas usage or get a boiler thats better than 90% efficient. Yours is around 55%.

80 units a week I work that out at 893 Kwh

About £30 a week (online duel fuel prices). That's not bad for a 5 bed house with this cold weather we've all had. Does that include cooking on gas as well :eek:

Sponsored Links
are you comparing like with like
putting aside the extra room/rooms

if you move from say a semi to a large detached you will have perhaps 40% more outside wall your roof will be bigger by say 20% so thats perhaps 30% more consumption

is the loft insulation simmilar
are windows simmilar [draughty/old d/g new double glazing]
is the cavity wall treatment simmilar
is the amount off carpet simmilar
is it a more exposed area
was the weather as bad in the last place
is the house better vented /have open fire places

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back