can anyone help/ part P cert?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i have had one of those snazzy spa units fitted. i bought it from a reputable company who recommended the installation team. i was never given any paperwk for the work done. This has now gone wrong (20 months later) the spa company will not repair it without a part p certificate of which i do not have, and the fitter has done a runner leaving lots of his customers very unhappy as he has never returned to sort things out . Do i really need one, and if so how do I get one now :?: He also fitted underfloor heating that has never worked, he said he would replace it under his liability insurance, took all my receipts etc and left the area. £200 and it does not work, and we gave him £80 for fitting it!!
I could say beware but this was all done through the company but I have since found out that the installers are not contracted to them, this is why (they say) that I had to pay them separately?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, contracted or not, the spa company recommended someone to you and they have a moral obligation to help you out. Try talking to them again. If they won't budge then perhaps you could have the external wiring checked by a proper electrician (you need to do this anyhow - water and electricity and all that) and then they may come out to repair their faulty equipment.

Secondly, the installer needs to be reported to trading standards. He is clearly not a bona fide electrician (otherwise you will have been given paperwork) and also he is a thief.

What do they mean by a Part P certificate? Do they mean a Certificate of Compliance? Or an Installation Certificate?

i bought it from a reputable company who recommended the installation team.

Well I'm sorry, but surely they are liable. You bought goods from them and they recommended one of their 'preferred contractors'. As such they should have made sure he was professional, worked within the Part P scheme and gave you the paperwork.

They knew the installation required Part P, they recommended the contractor and no they refuse to check the system until you have paperwork that their contractor didn't give you.

Could you try asking them why they didn't refuse to connect the spa until they had sight of the certificate originally ?

If they are being total fools, the only way forward is a PIR for the work and you should ask them to cover that cost as a gesture for recommending a cheating, unprofessional electrical contractor.

Sponsored Links

Hopefully that will help force them to accept that either they must have seen the paperwork (and so what's the issue with maintaining / faulting the unit now) or that they trusted the contractor.

Which is an acceptance that the work must have been done to an acceptable standard for they to commission the spa in the 1st place.

If they don't accept the logic, tell them Trading Standards should and go to them.

Could you try asking them why they didn't refuse to connect the spa until they had sight of the certificate originally?

That's a very good point.

They didn't, sound like supply only + installation/connection was done by bodgit & leggit, now he's gone back to the supplier or manufacturer, the latter well within their rights to query installation standards.

had a similar situation not so long a ago- big name kitchen supplier (who recently went bust) sub contracted fitment out to attempted manslaughter inc and there was too much wrong to list, rewire was needed. Kitchen supplier not intrested, but the client wasn't much of a fighter, which is the only way you can hope to progress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back