Can anyone identify these cables and boxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating my house, and keep finding various cables and boxes, some must be old TV cables, some phone lines.

I just don't know what I can get rid of. I have a feeling the telewest stuff is old and useless, or should I keep it?

Also the box externally, that looks like a mess and has no cover, what is this?

And finally I have some cables that have been cut off just randomly sticking out if a wall! I'm wondering if it's worth keeping any of them or if I can cut them back and fill

Any help would be great
20200622_110324.jpg
20200623_114409.jpg
20200623_114415.jpg
20200623_114448.jpg
20200623_114426.jpg

Sponsored Links
That brown one does look like an old Nynex box. If you’re not contracted to any of them, I’d say you can get rid of what you like.

That brown one does look like an old Nynex box. If you’re not contracted to any of them, I’d say you can get rid of what you like.

So that brown outside box you think is just some old thing? I wondered if you have these and they are used by future companies. What is Nynex?

I'd like to get rid of everything, I just don't want to cut a cable that would have been used by some service in the future, but I have no idea how it works!

Sponsored Links
If you are not paying for any service to your home then remove all.
So you don't think they have any purpose in the future for other companies? I guess many are old TV cables that we will never use anymore.

The brown box is for Virgin Media which would have been ex telewest.

Telewest > Nynex > NTL > Virgin Media.

If your not paying for a service to any of those (and ensure your not using the phone line) feel free to remove them.
Perhaps if you have a wired phone, plug it in to the boxes and see if you get a dial tone.

The BT Openreach one, identify the cable going into that box and leave it alone.
ISTR that all the others will fit your cabling for free yet BT charge over £100 if you dont have a cable.

Telewest > Nynex > NTL > Virgin Media.

If your not paying for a service to any of those (and ensure your not using the phone line) feel free to remove them.
Perhaps if you have a wired phone, plug it in to the boxes and see if you get a dial tone.

The BT Openreach one, identify the cable going into that box and leave it alone.
ISTR that all the others will fit your cabling for free yet BT charge over £100 if you dont have a cable.

Hi I just took off the telewest box, and strangely a white and blue wire go from the telewest box into the BT openreach box right next to it.

Are these the only two cables necessary for the openreach box? If so, could I remove the telewest box and just connect these two cables up again more neatly from the bottom?

I'm a bit confused!

Hi I just took off the telewest box, and strangely a white and blue wire go from the telewest box into the BT openreach box right next to it.

Possibly taking the Openreach line to extension sockets, which were formerly connected to Cable?

Possibly taking the Openreach line to extension sockets, which were formerly connected to Cable?

Sorry forgot to post the photo...it's just the blue and white cable that come into the bottom of the telewest box and then through the side into the openreach box. I wonder why they didn't just go straight into the openreach box. It's strange

20200626_154338.jpg

Telewest original supply then lazy BT couldn’t be bothered to rewire properly.

Telewest original supply then lazy BT couldn’t be bothered to rewire properly.

Ok, so I will just wire it up properly then if its simple enough

I didn't know the phone line/internet came through two tiny cables!

Ok, so I will just wire it up properly then if its simple enough

I didn't know the phone line/internet came through two tiny cables!
Yes only two wires required, if you have fibre broadband then the fibre runs to nearest street box then last section is copper wire .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back