Can anyone identify these crap downlights ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well having moved house, the kitchen is (or was) fitted with TWELVE downlighters, but is so well lit that several times I'd be heading for the light switch and then realise that they were already on. Other times I'd be putting the cooker hood light on to light up the worktop. Absolutely crap lighting - not just the quantity of light, but the lack of light where it's actually wanted.
Having pulled one of them out to replace it with a cheap surface mounted light which instantly made the lighting better - I notice that the manufacturer is so proud of it that they didn't put their name on it :rolleyes: As there's an occupancy sensor to come out as well, at some point I'll have 13 big holes to patch :evil:
Just out of curiosity, anyone recognise it ?
IMG_20171024_191715303.jpg

IMG_20171024_191726812.jpg

Sponsored Links
No but is there a label visible when you remove the GU10 lamp?

Damn, not fast enough!

Well having moved house, the kitchen is (or was) fitted with TWELVE downlighters, but is so well lit that several times I'd be heading for the light switch and then realise that they were already on. Other times I'd be putting the cooker hood light on to light up the worktop. Absolutely crap lighting - not just the quantity of light, but the lack of light where it's actually wanted.
Lack of light where it is actually wanted by you.

The previous owner wanted it as it is, or else he would not have done it.

at some point I'll have 13 big holes to patch :evil:
Overboard it - patching all those holes will be a PITA, and will look like 13 of them too.

Sponsored Links
The fitting dont look to me like crap, it has decent clips that dont break out the ceiling and the body looks superior to most as well as it also being fire rated.
More likely the wrong fitting for the job due to the lamp recessed back in the housing to give a more spotlight effect.
Looks like its got a poor quality led lamp in it too
Thats quite a common style body, likely produced to be sold by many companies and not branded, image search brings up a few with the distinctive rivets and terminal block
https://www.ledsave.co.uk/brushed-chrome-fire-rated-gu10-downlight-fitting.html

fgfcdc_satin_chrome_1.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried removing the lamp, there may be a label inside.
Ah, I hadn't looked that closely, didn't look like a removable lamp :whistle: Had a closer look, the bezel unscrews, and sure enough - a 5W LED lamp in it. 60W of LEDs and crap lighting. The fittings themselves do look fairly decent - solid bezel with fixed glass, screwed in, O-ring seal and gasket between body and ceiling.
Put just one of these up as an experiment and instantly vastly superior light - should need just 3 of them, half the power for vastly superior illumination. They are a bit cheap and nasty, but TBH they don't look bad and SWMBO is happy with it - will certainly do for now. She also prefers warm white - more like a traditional incandescent.

Lack of light where it is actually wanted by you.
Fair enough, I suppose you could consider that someone might like a kitchen where the work surfaces are not lit, the sink isn't lit, you get glare on your glasses (depending where you are stood), but the floor is nice and light - in places :rolleyes: I can't help thinking that someone put them in because they are the fashion and didn't realise that they aren't functional until it was too late.
Like most of the ceilings in the house, it'll almost certainly be getting skimmed at the very least.

As a follow up ...
While getting mum's stuff moved into her new house and unpacking the boxes, came across a part box of suitable lamps I bought for her at the last house (LAP brand from Screwfix). As she doesn't have any of that type of fitting at the new place, tried them in the fittings in our kitchen - what a massive difference :rolleyes: Apart from a more pleasant colour, they are of the "modern" type with a single central light emitting zone rather than the distributed (lots of small LEDs) that were in and where a significant proportion of the light is blocked by having the LEDs behind the bezel - so the light can actually get out. They'll still be getting replaced by different fittings when I get round to it, as even with better lamps installed the light pattern is rubbish.
Just waiting to see how long before SWMBO comments :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back