Can anyone identify this leaking pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help me identify this pipe that I have found to be the source of a leak in the void underneath the kitchen floor. It runs underneath my mid terrace and is made of clay, however it's not circular, it's more of a arch shape with no bottom that's been laid straight onto the clay ground when built in 1910 and covered with clay to a depth of around 3 foot, it's got a very slow flow of water coming out of it which seems to be fresh clean water. I've removed the broken section but haven't a clue what it's for and how to repair it. Been in touch with Yorkshire water and a local builder who both don't know what it is and can't help. It's caused a few damp issues and could have been leaking for some time. I'm struggling to upload pictures so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
From your description it's a "land drain" and was probably there long before your house was built.

If it's 3 feet underground what makes you think it's the cause of your damp.

Old drains such as these are almost certainly blocked solid with silt and no longer effective.

If it's only about 2 or 3 inches across inside it's probably a feeder running towards a header assembly. These were generally laid at around 45 degrees to the lie of the land, to maximise coverage, and were set in rows about 6 yards apart.

Thankyou for that, your right the majority of it was full of silt and just a very slow trickle was coming through the broken section but has been doing so for sometime and has saturated the ground around it and due to it being situated close to the rear brick wall looks to have caused some rising damp, however also had a piece of gutter missing above that same wall so that will have also been contributing, I shall look closer next time I buy a house, thanks again for the reply.

If you have internal damp issues then you would do better by posting this on the Building forum.
Why not read up on there, Search the many posts that would inform you about ground drains, ground levels and damp etc.

Sponsored Links
You need to check that your underground water supply pipe is not leaking as you say you got fresh clean water coming out.

Daniel.

Thankyou for that, your right the majority of it was full of silt and just a very slow trickle was coming through the broken section but has been doing so for sometime and has saturated the ground around it and due to it being situated close to the rear brick wall looks to have caused some rising damp, however also had a piece of gutter missing above that same wall so that will have also been contributing, I shall look closer next time I buy a house, thanks again for the reply.
No such thing as rising damp, the missing gutter will be the cause of damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back