Can anyone identify this mains water pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
F8115262-7793-4C2E-A06B-4E7977A71158.jpeg
Our water stopped suddenly yesterday and I found the problem outside where the mains pipe to the house had detached from the external stopcock. Someone in the past had bodged it in with silicone or something. I want to repair it properly but not sure how because I can’t identify the type of mains pipe. It’s made of black plastic and seems to be about 18mm. I thought at first it was 15mm but it won’t fit 15mm fittings. The stopcock is 22mm. I’ve made a temporary repair to get the water on as shown in the photo (I forced a bit of 15mm pipe into the plastic pipe, secured with a jubilee clip, then into a reducer into the stopcock). Can anyone identify the black pipe and advise on how to connect it to the stopcock?

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like the old black alkathene pipe, from memory it’s 22mm (hence the 22mm stopcock) but for an underground repair needs to be dzr brass or an underground plastic fitting.

Edit: there would have been a metal insert at some point, but if it's lost then you may need a new main running from stopcock to property. Also why is it on show?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply UT. The pipe’s exposed because I excavated round it to find the leak. The alkathene idea is interesting. It’s definitely under 22mm though and doesn’t fit the stopcock. It was just shoved in and bunged up with silicone (I’m surprised it’s lasted 15 years!)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jim. I can’t see anything on the pipe but I think you’re right about it being half inch. Do you know if there’s an adaptor I could use to join it to the stopcock, or is it too ancient?

Thanks. Good suggestion. I think their reducer 1143 might do the trick. It seems to fit a variety of different pipe diameters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back