Can anyone please explain a pumping chamber in a drain ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I Just got my Home Buyers Report and the house built 2010 on a private road/cul-de-sac has a 'pumping chamber' for the drains in the front lawn.
I know nothing about such things and want to know if this is standard,normal or unusual?
Does it indicate that the property has had particular difficulties with drainage ?
Does such a pump make a buzz or hum or sing in any way ?

I cannot bear suçh noises at night and my hearing is very acute..it's partly why I am moving hopefully to quieter area in a village.

Sponsored Links
I would think that this installation is because the main drainage system or water course is slightly higher than your lawn.....the drains drain (!) into a chamber, and if the chamber can't soakaway or run due to excess capacity, a pump automatically starts and pumps the water up to the normal drainage system.
Thats how I've always understood it, anyway!
John :)

I would think that this installation is because the main drainage system or water course is slightly higher than your lawn.....the drains drain (!) into a chamber, and if the chamber can't soakaway or run due to excess capacity, a pump automatically starts and pumps the water up to the normal drainage system.
Thats how I've always understood it, anyway!

Seem likely as the house is half way down a medium incline but can you tell me if the pumps make any audible noise hum, zing, buzz or whatever? Do these pumps last well as I think we may be jointly required to maintian with neighbours on a private road? It is on the periphery of the Fenland Bedford drain and usually those areas are better drained than anywhere and i have never hear of these pumps before

Sponsored Links
I've not much experience with domestic systems - if thats what its classed as - but the pumps are quiet enough in my opinion. (The ones in Keswick are!)
I very much doubt if you would hear it indoors, but I'm not the one who can advise with that one!

Drainage pumps are common where the main drain is uphill. Generally they are inaudible and have a very long life. They don't work continuously - they have a sump which fills over time and the pump only cuts in when the sump is full. Different systems have different size sumps so it's impossible to say how often the pump would operate. But if you're not using your drains - i.e. at night - then the pump isn't likely to be on at all. But really nobody can know if you will hear it or not. Stand close to the cover with a tap running and see if you can hear anything.

Drains/sewers usually rely on gravity, i.e. the pipes are laid to a fall (slope), allowing the effluent to flow away. However should a building (or buildings) be below the level of an existing sewer then a pumping station is required to pump the effluent back up to the level of the gravity sewer, where it then flows away under gravity. The Fens are naturally flat, hence Anglian Water rely heavily on pumping water from place to place! There are also a number of large pumping stations in that area purely to drain the Fens back into the river! :)

Pumps of this type are nearly always of the 'submersible' type, where the pump is designed to remain underwater. Will be fitted with 'float switches', high float switches the pump on when water level reaches set level, lower float senses level has dropped, and switches pump off again. In normal operation should be virtually, if not completely silent. Should any noise be noted then it should be investigated, could be a sign pump is not switching off as required. Running the pump 'dry', out of water will cause it to rapidly fail!

Will be a control cabinet nearby (usually green!) which houses the electrical apparatus, and often fitted with an orange warning beacon on top to alert of pump failure/high water level in the tank. Pumps should be of heavy duty type to handle effluent but still need treating with some respect. Wipes, sanitary products, fat/oil/grease, basically anything that hasn't been through you first should not be put down the drains. These will clog/jam the pump(s) also causing premature failure. Should pump failure occur then you may need to arrange for the system to be pumped out with a tanker (Local Council may offer such a service), pending pump replacement. A thorough clean may be advisable prior to any new pump being fitted if there are undesirable items in the system, or premature failure of the new pump may occur.

If it is pumping to a septic tank as opposed to mains drainage then that's another can of worms...... :eek:

Hello I Just got my Home Buyers Report and the house built 2010 on a private road/cul-de-sac has a 'pumping chamber' for the drains in the front lawn.
I know nothing about such things and want to know if this is standard,normal or unusual?
Does it indicate that the property has had particular difficulties with drainage ?
Does such a pump make a buzz or hum or sing in any way ?

I cannot bear suçh noises at night and my hearing is very acute..it's partly why I am moving hopefully to quieter area in a village.

Thank you so much for all that information I can go to my solicitor with the´right understandings now

I would double check it is pumped to mains drainage as opposed to a septic tank. A septic tank in the Fens could easily have enough issues to keep you awake for years......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back