Can anyone please tell me...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...what this is in my loft...

01102008163.jpg

Know the hot water tank is behind that but this is cold... plus the pipe in my airing cupboard that comes from this tank leads to some 'boxes'. This pic with the closest pipe to the left comes from the tank:

01102008165.jpg

I ask this as my central heating packed in :p And this is my 1st house, owned few month! And it's cold! :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is your hot water working of the gas boiler?

Is the heating turned ON on the clock and turned up on the ROOM STAT.

Is your hot water working of the gas boiler?

Is the heating turned ON on the clock and turned up on the ROOM STAT.

Yer the hot water is boiled in a boiler in the kitchen. Heating was left on all day with the stat at max but still nothing!

edit - posts came in as I was typing this.

It's the feed and expansion cistern for your central heating.

The 'boxes' in the bottom picture, from left to right -

The round one, 4 pipes - air separator (I think there's another name for these)

The silver grey one with the white wire - central heating pump / circulator

The silver one with the black wire and brass bit - three port valve.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
It would be better to give us more details about the boiler make/model and a few details about what is working or not

edit - posts came in as I was typing this.

It's the feed and expansion cistern for your central heating.

The 'boxes' in the bottom picture, from left to right -

The round one, 4 pipes - air separator (I think there's another name for these)

The silver grey one with the white wire - central heating pump / circulator

The silver one with the black wire and brass bit - three port valve.

Hope that helps.

Big help, thanks alot, will go and look at names on Boiler etc :)

Does the Hot Water have to be on at the same time as the central heating?

what happens when you switch the heating on at the boiler ?
It could be something really simple like a thermostatic cut out on the boiler which just needs re-setting.
need to know what boiler and what fuel
What happened before it packed up?

Big help, thanks alot, will go and look at names on Boiler etc :)

Does the Hot Water have to be on at the same time as the central heating?

If the system is a conventional y-plan (this refers to how it's wired), then no - IF it's been wired properly. When heating the hot water, the boiler and pump do their thing, the valve is not powered and the spring holds it in the HW position. When the CH is working, the boiler and pump do their thing as above, but the valve is motored and sends water to the heating circuit. When HW and CH are called for together, the valve stops halfway and sends water to both.

There's lots of things it can be, but it's usually easier to try to get the hot water to work first.

It's best to post the make/model of the boiler, and whether anything changed when it went wrong. Have a look on the 3 port valve also - it may have a helpful make and model number, V4073 for example.

I've just had another look at the airing cupboard pic, and the wiring looks quite vulnerable - is it possible that any wires have been tugged out by accident?

Here's some spec...

01102008166.jpg

Potterton Prima
01102008167.jpg

Potterton PRT 100
01102008168.jpg

Black box set at 2 ?
01102008173.jpg

This says Honeywell.

Before it packed in none of the downstairs radiators appeared to work, they were all cold but upstairs were warm, that was a few week ago, then tried it again yesterday but nothing this time, all radiators cold. It's gas fueled. Thanks

beginning to sound like it might be the pump?

if it was working when last used it is unlikey that much has failed since. Its probably a load of sludge in the system which has jammed the pump. If the pump doesn't run, the boiler will fire up and the heated water will creep round the system until the eventually boiler shuts down through thermal overload because the heated water is not being circulated.

When your thermostat is turned up from zero it should click audibly when it reaches room temp and the pump should start up, pumping water round the rads (or cylinder if diverted )

Is your pump running when set to heating and thermostat turned up? you should be able to feel or hear it. You could try giving the pump a sharp clout which might free it up.

Does the cylinder water get hot or not, if it does then the valve is duff, if not them possibly the pump

It's a myson pump wih a black hex plasic cap on the front, just unscrew it and give it a bit of a spin.

Have you tried the reset button under the boiler? (red with a cross) does it run then shut down.

edit - too slow again! lots of posts while I was typing.

I don't know this boiler, so someone else may need to provide details there.

Are there any signs of life at all -

Do the LEDs on the time programmer light up when switched on?

Does the pump run? (pumps can be very quiet but if you touch it or bring your ear close you can usually tell. Putting it on speed 3 will make it louder.)

If the boiler has a pilot light, is it lit?

If that got you nowhere, turn the time programmer to HW on (continuous, not timed), CH off, and turn your hot water tank thermostat (dial with flex, held on by net curtain wire) to maximum. Repeat the above - does the pump run or the boiler light up now?

Don't leave your tank thermostat at maximum other than for testing. Also could you confirm the model number of the 3 port valve, it's too fuzzy to read.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back