Can anyone tell the make of this Wireless Thermostat please .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a little problem well not a little problem a damn annoying problem .

This Theromstat SHOULD talk wirelessy to the contact point behind one brick wall in the garage which is wired ( i think to ) the boiler and the Centaur plus control box .

Its got new batteries in ( Duracell ) we have it set for 22c and its currently showing 17c as we have had the doors open for some work being done . But the fact is the wireless contact point in the garage shows a red light and then a green light . The thermostat is calling for Heat but the box in the garage just doesnt respond but its seems to intermittently .

If i take the batteries out and pop them back in and open the garage door suddenly the receiver unit pops up a green light and the boiler fires up but after around 5 mins it the grren light goes off again even tho the thermostat is calling for heat still .

Is this basically a crap thermostat or is it that these things are best just wired ( which is my suspicion ) .

Anyone shed any light on the subject . I cant find an instruction manual for it but there doesnt seem anything complicated about it i more want to know what make it is to see if anyone else thinks its a pile of rubbish we have had this problem quite a while and have sort of put up with it .

But its really annoying me now . Included a pic of thermostat to see if you can see who makes it .

I would say the estimated distance between wireless points is about 18 foot at the most and has one brick wall to go through , our internet router is on opposite side of house so im pretty sure its not getting any interference .

Im thinking its just a pile of crap and would like to know the make to confirm this please thanks .

Attachments

• thermostat.jpg
    thermostat.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks like a Salus RT300RF

They are a budget thermostat and as with most things you get what you pay for. They only communicate every few minutes to save battery power, so it can take quite some time for the receiver to switch 'on' after the thermostat has told it to.

This does seem to be a common problem with Salus, however you can do a reset, to see if that helps. Follow all of the steps carefully:

1) Turn off the grey slider switch on the receiver

2) Turn off the mains supply to the receiver. (It should be connected to the same fused connection unit as the boiler.)

3) Remove the batteries from the thermostat and wait 30 seconds

4) Replace the batteries in the thermostat, check they are inserted the right way around.

5) Press 'reset' on the thermostat, and make sure it is set to a high enough temperature to switch the boiler on. (ie higher than the ambient temperature)

6) Switch on the mains supply to the receiver

7) Slide the receiver's grey switch to 'on' you may have to wait up to 10 minutes for the boiler to fire up.

You can find the instructions for the thermostat here.

'Wireless' depends on a good reliable signal between transmitter (stat) and the receiver. Lots of things can interfere with that signal, like microwave ovens, wifi and other nearby transmissions, plus the building fabric. Why not try the stat in other positions, including right next to the mains powered receiver - it should be easy to do, as its battery powered.

I should also mention that I have come across a couple of these where a neighbouring property has a Salus thermostat and they were switching each other on & off. This is because all of these thermostats are all supplied with the same RF Code set. If you suspect this is happening, a change of RF Address code would stop it. The instructions tell you how to do this.

You might also consider if it used to work OK has something changed in your home recently that could interfere with the wireless connection?

Sponsored Links
Hi Folks tried all the above and even fresh duracell batteries .

First of i think its a lot older unit as there is no OFF switch on the receiver in the garage .Had to turn it off at main switch which turns off whole boiler and the centaur c27 unit .

Popping new batteries in it gives a quick flash of battery power only around a 1/4 full which i think is a pile of rubbish as im using these batteries to run 2 Trail cams out in a woodland we own and there lasting fine .

I have done all the above in resetting it and it is showing 1 red perm light and 1 green . Its on at the moment like it always is but it has a mind of its own it will turn off before getting to the temp of 22c .

Im right in thinking the red shows its not a connection with the wireless thermostat or if it has its very weak .

It is slightly possible these batteries are not at full power they are a pack of 24 duracell batteries ordered of ebay a few months ago but im not having any other issues with where they are being used .

I would do the rf code but i dont think it is that but you never know but im not attempting that unless i know exact model .

Lol its already gone off now , on one red light no green light and its calling for heat , set at 22c and showing 17c .

im bloody froze lol

It is slightly possible these batteries are not at full power they are a pack of 24 duracell batteries ordered of ebay a few months ago but im not having any other issues with where they are being used .

Rumour has it that Duracell are not what they once were, perhaps try batteries from another source?

The model is your quite correct a really old SALUS 300rf as the receiver unit has no on and off switch .

Will try new batteries first then do the jumper settings , if all of this fails its going to be a very expensive new WIRED thermostat like we use to have ( why did we take that out must have been mad ) .

Will let you all know how i get on .

P.s The red light on the unit i have found out is just showing its switched on and is nothing to do with a weak connection like some units have on them .

This may or may not apply to the 300 RF.

Basic operation is an ON command is sent from the thermostat ( control unit ) to the receiver and the receiver demands the boiler to turn ON. When heating is no longer required the thermostat sends an OFF command to the receiver.

This basic operation has a problem, it assumes that the wireless link is not affected by interference. If an OFF command is not received then the boiler will not be turned OFF. The OFF command can be lost for various reasons.
[1] Radio interference from another transmitter may block the receiver's ability to receive commands
[2] The thermostat for some reason ( flat batteries ) does not send an OFF command.

To solve this problem a time out override to OFF should be included in the system

A time out system requires repeated ON commands from the thermostat for as long as heating is required. Typically the ON command would be sent every 5 minutes. The receiver has a time out circuit which will turn heating OFF after (typically) 10 minutes have passed without receiving an ON command. An OFF command will cause the receiver to immediately remove the demand for heating.

receiver unit pops up a green light and the boiler fires up but after around 5 mins it the grren light goes off again even tho the thermostat is calling for heat still .

Which suggests that the receiver does have a time out function and is not receiving ON commands to prevent the time out happening.

Well just to let you know gone and got some more batteries on fitting these the battery icon came on and showed these to be only 1/4 to a 1/2 full so i dont think its showing the battery life correctly which doesnt help .

Atthe moment its on and heating but will see if operates correctly i dont think it will .

What i will do after this is take the unit off the wall and put it next to the receiver in the garage its as cold as hell in there so should be perm on to see if that works .

Will also change the frequency but will give it a day now with different batteries in and report back , will keep this updated as it might help someone else .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back