Help replacing Honeywell thermostat with a Salus RT300 RF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, am trying to make my heating wireless as we have a cold room and need to move the thermostat to this room. I have the Salus RT300RF and am just looking at replacing the honeywell room thermostat and not the timer, i would like to keep this wired in.

The wiring differs and i just wondered if anyone could help me with wiring it in. I have wired in light switches etc but this seems a little different so any help would be appreciated to save paying the plumber to fit it :)

I have attached a pic of old one and new one, hope you can help

Honeywell Thermostat - to be replaced

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/9086/honeywellt.jpg

New Salus wireless

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6383/salusrf.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks again

Ross

Sponsored Links
Sorry my fault, that is the receiver for the wireless stat

Hope you can help

Thanks

Ross

Sponsored Links
Thanks, sort of screws me up as cannot get a live to it as is in the kitchen :(

Should i send it back and get another model, or will i always need a permanent live regardles of make/model?

Thanks

Ross

Sorry to be pain, but is brown (1) on the honeywell not a permanent live? Just checked on boiler and timer and cannot see how i could run another live as boiler is quite far away.

Any help much appreciated :)

Thanks again

Ross

The brown will be switched on & off according to the timer settings. It is not permanently live.

Ahh ok got you - thanks. Any way to wire it up then without getting a new wire put in?

I presume as per other other thread i could wire it up and leave the timer on "On" all the time, but i would rather not do this so any suggestions would be good?

Thanks

Ross

The only other thing i can think of doing is remove the current room stat, and then put the new wireless receiver next to the boiler? Would this be a better option, then i can run the live off the boiler direct to the receiver itself?

I would prefer to replace the honeywell stat with the new Salus receiver if it is possible to swap any wires arond if this is maybe possible, if it is and someone can explain how i would very much appreciate it?

Thanks

Ross

The only other thing I can think of doing is remove the current room stat, and then put the new wireless receiver next to the boiler? Would this be a better option, then i can run the live off the boiler direct to the receiver itself?
The boiler probably won't have all the connections required, but the programmer will. So near the programmer could be a possible option, provided that the location meets the location requirements specified for the wireless thermostat.

If you need further assistance, please post details of your existing programmer / boiler including the existing wiring connection details. A photo of the wiring terminations helps if it is clear enough to see properly.

Also what sort of system do you have? Motorised valves? (S or Y Plan?) is there a wiring centre?

Ahh it is ok i will get the plumber to do it if to complicated, if i cannot use existing wires from the honeywell stat or swap them around.

Can i ask on the old stat it has blue brown and yellow wires, are brown and yellow switched live? Just one of my mates is saying that brown is live and yellow is switched live so it will work with the new one but i have told him it will not as per your advice :)

Thanks

Ross

I think i have worked it out, brown is Timer Live?, and yellow is switched live - if so could i not swap the wire on the timer to the permanent live or does it need both?

Sorry to sound clueless, the timer is a honeywell ST6100C

Thanks

Ross

needs both. permanent live keeps power to the receiver all the time while you need the switch live to tell the boiler to come on.

Though with a combi boiler you could do away with the timer altogether providing your wireless part of the stat is programmable. i.e you can set times aswell as temperatures.

The you could place the receiver box where the existing timer is utilising the existing wiring.

You say its a vaillant boiler, that narrows it down to probably one of a hundred or so boilers.

My crystal ball is a bit cloudly tonight so,

If its not too much trouble.

Give us full details of the model of the boiler, depending on the internal wiring of the boiler may be able to fit your RF stat by altering the wiring at the time clock.

But without the model number I cannot help

David.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back