Changing old room thermostat to Salus RT300 wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wanting to change an old Honeywell room thermostat to a Salus RT300 and would like to check I have the wiring change over correct before I go ahead .
The old Honeywell is 3 wire the Salus is 2 wire.

1 goes to Live on Salus
2 terminate as not needed
3 to SL on Salus

Alan

Sponsored Links
Looks like someone used the earth core on a flex for a switched live on the Honeywell and didn't bother to sleeve it as a "live"

I also see that the Salus RT300 has an earth parking terminal.

That is not a straight switchover as the earth core needs re-wiring to the earth terminal at the other end of the cable and neutral needs re-wiring at the other end as a switched live. Then sleeve the neutral core both ends with a brown "live" sleeve. At the Salus you then use the correct colour codes with brown to L and the brown sleeved blue core to SL

Just doing what you are saying will work but the conductors will all be wrongly identified and that is just wrong when it can be wired properly.

cant i just mark the cables correctly, as no earth is needed if i'm reading the instructions correctly.

no Earth connection is required for the correct and safe operation of the RT300, but a parking terminal is provided to connect
an Earth wire if one is present

I am aware no earth is required the terminal is just to "park" one if it's in the cable .

The point is when some-one else follows on from your work and sees a yellow green conductor they might think it is an earth and get shocked if they touch it because it is currently being used as a live conductor.

Why not do the job properly? - It really is simple to do.

Sponsored Links
cant i just mark the cables correctly, as no earth is needed
NO.

no Earth connection is required for the correct and safe operation of the RT300, but a parking terminal is provided to connect
an Earth wire if one is present
A Circuit Protective Conductor (clue's in the name) shall be run to all points of the installation.

Do it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back