Can anyone think of a downside to this.....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was out for my lunchtime stroll today, and on the way back a man stopped me and said he was wanting to arrange a surprise for his wife and needed my help to set it up. Would I call his wife, ask if Steve was there, and then when she said no, say that I would call him on his mobile. This conversation would be enough to set the surprise in motion.

Half expecting to be on TV or something, I went along with it, after he dialled the number on a payphone (which I noted). The conversation then went exactly as above, after which he thanked me and both went on separate ways.

Now, I can't think of any way that this could particularly have set a surprise going (rather than just checking she was in) but I'm also wondering if there was any bad outcome that could come from it. Apart from checking that she was in so that the hitman can burst through the door, can anyone with a more suspicious mind come up with any suggestions.....?

Sponsored Links
what did she sound like? what sort of mood do you think she was in? how old?

Bloke about mid-50s, shorts and backpack, demeanour similar to a sort of jolly lecturer, I guess. Woman about same age, genteel middle-class I would say. Nothing instantly suspicious about either of them.

johnny_t said:
Bloke about mid-50s, shorts and backpack, demeanour similar to a sort of jolly lecturer, I guess.

I bet it was BAS and you called Sloggers missus.

Sponsored Links
bethrob99 said:
Some bloke wants Steve's wife to think he's having an affair?

Maybe that would work if I was a lady, but I'm not.

However, I hadn't considered that the man who asked me to make the call was not Steve..... :eek:

So, perhaps he was checking for the absence of the husband, and the wife's surprise is when her "bit of stuff" turns up!

Incidentally, the use of a payphone concerns me - EVERYONE has mobiles now. If he was worried about the caller ID he could withold the number - unless, of course, he was worried about traceability....

Hmm, something's not right here.

johnny_t said:
I was out for my lunchtime stroll today, and on the way back a man stopped me and said he was wanting to arrange a surprise for his wife and needed my help to set it up. Would I call his wife, ask if Steve was there, and then when she said no, say that I would call him on his mobile. This conversation would be enough to set the surprise in motion.

Half expecting to be on TV or something, I went along with it, after he dialled the number on a payphone (which I noted). The conversation then went exactly as above, after which he thanked me and both went on separate ways.

Now, I can't think of any way that this could particularly have set a surprise going (rather than just checking she was in) but I'm also wondering if there was any bad outcome that could come from it. Apart from checking that she was in so that the hitman can burst through the door, can anyone with a more suspicious mind come up with any suggestions.....?
ok! try this:
the guy like's gadgets and is always changing his mobile for the latest model, he's just been looking at a new one with a 3mp camera but it cost 300 squid, he tell's his wife that he's interested in it and she blow's her top ''your always wasting money on expensive phones and I'm never allowed to buy nice new clothes, no-one ever rings you so how can you justify the expence?'' ''thats not fair says he'' and an argument starts he storms out, and goes round town getting people to do what he asked you to do, so her phones been ringing all day and shes fed up with it and would be happy if they all just rung him on his nice new shiney expensive 3mp mobile.
:cool:

yep ,Her boyfriend/husband is called steve,and the bloke who got you to ring up knew she wouldn't talk to him...(probaly had an argument,BTW These two might be having an affair)So he got you to ring up to see if the coast was clear.and when he found it was He legged it round there.

(Feasable) :LOL:

you could have ended up like the guy on "phonebooth" the film where the guy ends up in a phone box with a sniper aiming at him on the phone. :eek:

mmm wait for your next phone bill bet it will huge

sounds like a scam to me

Nah. Call was from a payphone to a York landline number, so I'm not in the loop. Most people seem to favour the affair 'coast is clear' theory. No murders on the news, so that's something......

Sponsored Links
Back