Can applied teak oil be 'weathered' out of garden furniture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to purchase a couple of used teak garden benches, which have historically had teak oil applied (look patchy now). As I prefer the natural silvering of the un-oiled look, if I was to leave these and not continue with oiling them, would the applied oil eventually disappear so the benches would then weather to silver? Is a de-greasing compound necessary? Or should I leave these and buy some that have never been oiled? Thanks in advance of your knowledgeable replies!

Sponsored Links
just leave them out and they will eventually silver up

Thanks Chappers. As these benches are quite patchy looking at the moment, would they weather to a uniform silver as if never oiled, or will they always be patchy looking do you think? As a girl and because they will be placed at the front of the house, appearance is quite important! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The patchy look could be due to wasps!
No, I'm not joking. We have teak garden furniture also. The last time we oiled is was six years ago, but due to circumstances we didn't repeat that for a few years. We then liked the look of the 'silver/grey' they got. But over the last three years wasps have been 'attacking' any oil residue (it looks like they gnaw on the wood and leave 'white' strips) and making the furniture look patchy. I was thinking of re-oiling them again next Spring to try and solve this patchy look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back