Can "Bonding" be used for Rendering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I wonder if someone can help me please.

The external wall to back of my house suffers from minor damp and I want to apply rendering to stop the damp.
Now my builder has told me he is going to use " Bonding" instead of "Sand and Cement". Is that the right thing to do??

I am worried it won’t be as hard and it won’t be waterproof.

Also is it wise to add waterproof P.V.A to the mix?

I would appreciate anyone's help.

Cheers
D

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

I wonder if someone can help me please.

The external wall to back of my house suffers from minor damp and I want to apply rendering to stop the damp.
Now my builder has told me he is going to use " Bonding" instead of "Sand and Cement". Is that the right thing to do??

I am worried it won’t be as hard and it won’t be waterproof.

Also is it wise to add waterproof P.V.A to the mix?

I would appreciate anyone's help.

Cheers
D

No !!!!!!! Bonding is for inside "dry" work..Sack your builder....

Roy is correct. Sack your builder. Hes a clueless chancer.

Do you actually know where the damp is coming from cos that would be a good starting point.

If by bonding he means gypsum plaster then as roy says find yourself someone who at least knows the basics.

Sponsored Links
Im pretty sure the builder isnt so thick as to suggest using Carlite bonding as a render.
Are you sure he doesnt mean, SBR bonding prior to sand/cement render.

Im pretty sure the builder isnt so thick as to suggest using Carlite bonding as a render.
Are you sure he doesnt mean, SBR bonding prior to sand/cement render.

I hope you are right, but the OP seems clear as he says 'instead of'. It may be an external wall as opposed to an outside wall, but I would not be surprised if it is bonding plaster , I'm sure we've seen it before!

Just re-read this post and think he means the inside of an external wall.

If that is the case you should use render with a waterproofer.

surely bonding near damp is bad - internally or externally - its just not gonna work!

As the chaps say - S&C with waterproofer all the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back