Can cable share the same notch as copper central heating pipes?

Pleae stop trying to prevent DIY work or, if you must continue on that project please explain what happened to make you so adverse to DIY work.
I'm not trying to prevent it.

Have you never seen the number of times I tell people that they should be competent, or the number of times I am criticised for wanting competence?

For you to say that I am trying to prevent DIY work means that either you are stupid or you have decided to join the cabal of petty and juvenile morons here who like have a go at me for their own pathetic amusement.

Sponsored Links
I frequently "sign off" reports and other documents as the "person responsible for the content" and the wording of the declarations I sign is conceptually very similar to the 'design declaration' you're talking about. However, these documents usually contain vast amounts of detail content, of which (in many cases) little, if any, will have been my own work. I will have exercised a degree of oversight over the planning and execution of the work, reviewed the document and perhaps have checked some of the details etc. but am certainly "taking responsibility for" something which is far from being all my own work.
Here we go again.

The last time you tried that argument I pointed out what the EIC says. I wonder how many times we will go through the loop of me doing that and then sometime later you repeating your argument, as if somehow what an EIC says will have changed, before you realise that you are wrong?

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

Have you never seen the number of times I tell people that they should be competent,
Of course I have. And then you go on to tell them they cannot be competent until they have read the books and publications that you determine are the only way to become competent.

One of your frequent comments is that one should not tell a DIY which wire goes into which terminal but instead you tell them how to learn to understand electrical circuits so they work out which wire goes where themselves. In the long term that is the best advice but it is NOT the best advice for someone who need to urgently restore lighting or power in their home.

As has been pointed out to you many times, help the person when they need help and there is a better chance that they will then want to learn about and thus understand circuits.

I'm not lieing about anything ive said. This is what building control has told me. Had they told me otherwise I wouldn't be doing anything.
This is Part P - it is actually an image capture from the Building Regulations on the official government website, so there can't be any chance of any mis-transcription:

screenshot_134.jpg

According to you, Building Control told you that you did not have to bother complying with it.

Sponsored Links
Of course I have. And then you go on to tell them they cannot be competent until they have read the books and publications that you determine are the only way to become competent.
I take it you can show where I have said that is the only way?

One of your frequent comments is that one should not tell a DIY which wire goes into which terminal but instead you tell them how to learn to understand electrical circuits so they work out which wire goes where themselves. In the long term that is the best advice but it is NOT the best advice for someone who need to urgently restore lighting or power in their home.
Wrong - it is the ONLY advice which should be given.

As has been pointed out to you many times, help the person when they need help and there is a better chance that they will then want to learn about and thus understand circuits.
Yes - it is often pointed out, and it is always irresponsible and immoral and wrong.

Yes - it is often pointed out, and it is always irresponsible and immoral and wrong.

So you would sleep peacefully if you refused help to a person and, because that person was unable to carry out urgent repairs there was an incident /accident which resulted in harm to people.

eic one comstructor.jpg

At face valuse from this form only one constructor can sign as being responsible, ( yet two designers can ) So the construction can only carried out by one person. Who signs the quality of the work carried out by the electrician's assistant.

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that .....
What you don't seem to understand, or accept, or want to accept, is that "carrying out the design" does not preclude others having been involved in that process. The 'Chief Designer' of, say, an aircraft manufacturer, might well sign a declaration such as that in relation to a whole aircraft, even though much of the detail design work had actually been undertaken by others under his/her supervision.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed - And unless he's also manufacturing the accessories from scratch, even when a single person is responsible for what we might refer to as the complete design of the electrical installation, he's relying on design work which has been done by others for the switches, sockets, distribution panels, etc.

What you don't seem to understand, or accept, or want to accept, is that "carrying out the design" does not preclude others having been involved in that process. The 'Chief Designer' of, say, an aircraft manufacturer, might well sign a declaration such as that in relation to a whole aircraft, even though much of the detail design work had actually been undertaken by others under his/her supervision.
Please do not try to use that argument when the installation is of the scale of a domestic dwelling, and there is no formal supervisory or managerial relationship between the electrician and the person doing the work.
And you carry on talking about the chief designer for an aircraft manufacturer, and people under his/her supervision...

1+%28528%29.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back