Can earplugs give enough protection for noisy power tools?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have regular ear protection but it makes my ears so so hot... Last week with the chainsaw I literally had puddles inside the cups!

Can ear plugs give enough protection for using leaf blowers, chainsaws, etc? Is there a specific decibel level I should be aiming for?

Sponsored Links
I think I would be worried about using only ear plugs.
Ear defenders always just seem to work better.
But have no evidence to hand.

Seen, but not used, sweat absorbing pads:
https://www.arco.co.uk/products/201200

Leather padded ear defenders are supposed to cause less sweat.

Sammy,
"Ear defenders don't work as well as ear plugs."
I never knew that... and reading your link I suppose it makes sense that "Because they fit directly into the ear canal, ear plugs offer greater protection than ear defenders".
Thanks for that detail and correction,
SFK

Sponsored Links
Ear plugs push wax into the ear giving you a permanent ear plug.
Which is why I never use them. Good quality ear muffs give all the protection that is needed.

How about trying ear plugs and ear defenders over the top?

How about trying ear plugs and ear defenders over the top?
I have done this. Well, I've used my music ear-phones with defenders over the top so I can listen to music while using tools without having the volume overly loud. Earplugs like that give a little protection on top of the defenders too, I imagine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back