Battery adapters for cordless power tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my eye on these over the last few years as more and more are appearing on the market. Anyone got any experience of these?

I'm sure like many other people, I have largely invested in one brand (Dewalt in mycase) so I can use my batteries (largely 4 and 5 amp) in various tools. Every now and again I am tempted or prefer a specific tool from another brand, but I am reluctant to buy them as I do not want to have to buy different branded batteries and chargers.

So...adapters have been around for a bit now, but I have never felt that comfortable with them, given the relationship that exists between a battery and power tool. But...I am tempted to give them a whirl and I have another excuse to do so... I bought the following...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FDTYMMD?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2277085945

and am considering the following so I can use my Dewalt batteries on the Worx inflater

https://www.amazon.co.uk/aikeec-Bat...?th=1&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2277083585

Anyone own or has owned such adapters or what is your experience or knowledge of such...especially reasons as why you shouldn't use them. How safe are they?

Sponsored Links
I have an adaptor which allows me to use Makita batteries on Hikoki 18 volt kit. It's really just a backup in case I run out of batteries, but the few times I've used it it has worked properly with the battery's own protection circuitry cutting in to prevent the tool over discharging the battery. I'm sufficiently confident that if I buy a particular cordless mitre saw from another maker (not Makita) I'll be running it through another Makita-battery adaptor.

The only downsides I have experienced are that the adaptors add a couple of inches to the length of the tools, which in the case of a first fix nailer makes the difference between getting it in between joists and not, and the balance on the nailers is affected which makes it a bit less comfortable to use over extended periods - but as a get me out of a hole solution it was good. With a tool like a cordless chopsaw I feel it will make little difference other than there maybe being possible clearance issues

worth noting li-ion batteries and tools need protection cheap Chinese knock offs adapters] may not[probably not]have good or any protection ??

Depends on the batteries, B-A. Current Mak batteries have protection circuitry in the battery. Can't say for other makes, but worth looking into

Sponsored Links
Depends on the batteries, B-A. Current Mak batteries have protection circuitry in the battery. Can't say for other makes, but worth looking into
indeed j&k you have given genuine feedback from a heavy trade situation where your comments can honestly be taken as genuine and honest and worth acting on your personal experience
perhaps a link to your sources may help others but maybe not iff a long time has elapsed ??

worth noting li-ion batteries and tools need protection cheap Chinese knock offs adapters] may not[probably not]have good or any protection ??

You re not wrong. The major issue appears to be that for some batteries, with the adapters there is no cut off point and the tool will drain the battery flat. In my case I would not worry about that so much, given that I would be using large fully charged batteries and doing minimal work with this Worx tool. No risk of drain, besides being aware of it I would test it periodically.

I don't know if Dewalt battery has it's own built in protection like Makita appears to have - quick edit - it's clear from a Google search that Dewalt do not have protection built into the battery. They build there's into the tool

Last edited:
You re not wrong. The major issue appears to be that for some batteries, with the adapters there is no cut off point and the tool will drain the battery flat. In my case I would not worry about that so much, given that I would be using large fully charged batteries and doing minimal work with this Worx tool. No risk of drain, besides being aware of it I would test it periodically.

I don't know if Dewalt battery has it's own built in protection like Makita appears to have - quick edit - it's clear from a Google search that Dewalt do not have protection built into the battery. They build there's into the tool
some years ago i bought a "genuine" dewalt adapter from ebay for £50 it was an off yellow didnt have the wings to stop you using it on 54v batteries and the biggest giveaway was the tiny stick on label in Chinese
i had to use it as i had a track saw and dozen off sheets to cut 'it worked fine but my mate left it with battery in and it killed it overnight whilst idle
the genuine adapters describe as 20-18v adapters come in a blister pack not a jiffy bag and are displayed in the blister pack on ebay i now have 2 off these at about £60 each

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back