Can flexible hoses be used to connect up F&E tanks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may have to replace (with http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing...-4-Expansion-Tank-Black-9414885?skuId=9705590 or similar) my central heating F&E tank. It has fixed 15mm copper pipe in and out - can I use lengths of braided hose to hook up the new one, like you'd use to connect taps?

Or is there some issue with that? It will be hard for me to get it exactly right with solid pipe, a new tank wouldn't mate with the current pipework directly due to differences in shape and positioning. I'd want to use the hose for both cold in and the outlet down into the heating circuits.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Hi smp50,
In theory it will work but if I can be blunt it's a horrible bodge!

I might do it as a emergency fix to get over the weekend or if the tank was being moved a few days later, but never as a permanent job.

They are not designed for this, have a limited life compared with copper pipe and are not unknown to leak. Not something you want to fit in the loft and forget for years. Your tank could move around on the joists causing leaks on the tank connections too and your insurance company might well reject any claim as a result of unusual plumbing practice.

Using copper pipe is not that difficult if you stick to compression fitting and a good solid job, plenty of help on here to sort the job out.
Regards,
footprints

No, the bore size would probably be inadequate, most hoses are not rated for the temperatures, and hoses are excellent for attracting debris in the system water so will eventually block (very hazardous). Do it properly.

Do it properly.

83061ada_kobe-hilariously-confused-reaction-gif.gif

Ah well, thanks both - there's a first time for everything...

I guess the way the tank adaptors work there's about 10mm of leeway in pipe length, right? Where the pipe slides into the adaptor before the compression fitting is screwed up.

Sponsored Links
It's not awkward. It is the way it should be done.

Taking a dump standing up is awkward.

Calling your mother in law a vapid heifer when she is stood behind you is awkward.

You seem to be finding as many ways to screw up a header tank installation as possible. It's our a competition? :LOL:

Awkward? Dont talk rubbish SMP! Try changing bath taps when some goon has tiled in the bath panel. Then you will know what awkward really is ;) and why you have to pay someone experienced to do a proper job ;)

Ooh ooh. How about Ocean Alpha diverter valves? :LOL:

I used to have a socket on a really long extention bar with a flexible joint at the socket end for doing those until some oik relieved me of the contents of my van!

Surely there can't be any still going!

I still have one to 'look after'... Owner is permananlty back-packing in OZ, his brother the Estate Agent expects me to keep it running for ever... (actually it is a 240p, does that count?)

DH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back