Can gas pipes be behind kitchen cabinets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have gutted out my kitchen back to brick and be want to put in a gas hob.

I had thought the gas pipes can be hidden behind the kitchen cabinets which sit against an outside wall.

My builders says the gas pipe need to go on the outside of the wall and then come back in at the point where the gas hob will be.

I find that very ugly so want to know if that is actually safer or a requirement?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My gas pipes were in the concrete floor but the fitter advised me to carefully chisel around the run so he could then connect and run some pipe work behind the units. Not a gas guy but what would be the issue?

No reason not to run it internally from a regulatory point of view

Reactions: CBW
Builder says it's safer in case of a leak.

My previous house had the kitchen gas pipe inside the house so I am wondering if it's an oversight or a genuine safety reason.

Sponsored Links
Load of nonsense - run it internally. I'm amazed at the amount of external gas runs I see these day. Suddenly internal gas pipes are dangerous, generally the dangerous part is the appliance

If concerned, my mum had a gas detector fitted when her memory started to go.
one whiff of gas and the valve was cut off and an alarm sounded

I have gutted out my kitchen back to brick and be want to put in a gas hob.

I had thought the gas pipes can be hidden behind the kitchen cabinets which sit against an outside wall.

My builders says the gas pipe need to go on the outside of the wall and then come back in at the point where the gas hob will be.

I find that very ugly so want to know if that is actually safer or a requirement?

Thanks
Maybe put the hob ,cooker ,gas boiler etc outside too.....much safer !!

Thanks everyone for your input. You gave me more confidence to speak to the builder again tomorrow.

Reactions: CBW
If concerned, my mum had a gas detector fitted when her memory started to go.
one whiff of gas and the valve was cut off and an alarm sounded
Got some info on that please - what one does she have? My mother in law has just been diagnosed with dementia and to be on the safe side, my brother in law went round a few weeks ago and disconnected the gas range in case she turns it on and fails to light it. Now she only has a microwave that her carers use to heat meals up with (they are not allowed to cook) but my wife and her sister are planning to take turns in cooking her a proper meal a few times a week and will need to use the range.

Got some info on that please - what one does she have? My mother in law has just been diagnosed with dementia and to be on the safe side, my brother in law went round a few weeks ago and disconnected the gas range in case she turns it on and fails to light it. Now she only has a microwave that her carers use to heat meals up with (they are not allowed to cook) but my wife and her sister are planning to take turns in cooking her a proper meal a few times a week and will need to use the range.

Modern appliances have a safety cut out. You cannot turn on the gas without actually lighting it and, in the unlikely event of the flame subsequently being extinguished , the gas will turn off automatically (there will be a short duration of escaping gas).

In respect to the original question, the gas can run behind the units. I assume the space will be open at the top of the cabinets - if the space is fully enclosed it may need to be vented.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back