Can glass stove top be replaced the metal instead for campervan stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The size of the cooktop is small, only 29x29cm. The stovetop cracked while out driving due to the bumps in the road i guess. i could easily replace with similar glass however it could be liable to crack again unless i took steps to pad the surface or cushion the cabinet which i had also considered before i thought of this latest idea.

i then had the thought why not avoid the problem entirely and replace with metal i instead? as far as i can tell the current glass is fixed with just some silicone so i am thinking just cut that away a put metal in.

other than the aesthetic i am wondering if the glass serves any other purpose over another type of material? im not bothered how it looks just want efficiency. i see it might even improve the heat transfer since metals seem to be better conductors than glass from my cursory research. i will add i believe this stove works through conduction rather than induction since it runs off diesel in a closed chamber similar to the very popular diesel heaters. as such i guess the top material should not matter? as for prices it seems highly conductive sheet metals like copper would run to a similar price as replacement glass. steel is cheap at only a few pounds for the size i want. even though that is on the lower scale of metals for conductivity that should still be a perhaps marked improvement over glass which is listed as a poor conductor overall right? so should steel still be a good choice for cost/efficiency balance? i am wondering the minimum thickness to not buckle under the weight of a large filled stewpot nearly the diameter of the aperture lister above. probably comes to 10kg or thereabouts when full. would 3mm or so do it? for comparison the original glass is only about 4mm thick at a guess and used that pot i think once or twice on there to cook before it cracked but for the bumping while driving.

any other considerations to note making this an idea i shuld avoid or should it work out? the stove of course was originally designed for glass or whatever ceramic it is so perhaps heat distribulation would be different but the surrounding materials were still made to withstand cooking temperatures so fingers crossed will be ok?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You always need to post photos of what you mean when asking questions like this.

We might not be able to picture what you on about but with a photo we may have an answer for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back