Can household acrilyc paint be use as artist paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?:
I'm an artist who's wondering about the difference between household and artist acrlilyc paint...
I would like to use the latter as i paint huge wood surfaces and I think that household paint could be more durable and there are many new product (paint that reflects light etc.)
I would appreciate if there's someone who could answer for my question... thanking it in advance and have a nice day

Sponsored Links
Id say yes..but im not familiar with the French paint scene...masonry paint over here is fine for it...its a good wood primer too as it is full of acrylic

'paintycait'....may be able to help you more with this if you stick around....

shes one of those 'arty types' lol

'confedentcompetent' may also be able to help hes a bit of a (p*ss!) artist as well by the sounds of it ;)

artisart said:
:?:
I'm an artist who's wondering about the difference between household and artist acrlilyc paint...

think the diff is artist paint is bloody expensive. ;) Dont know really but think there's probs with artist acrylic. seems its all going to crack and fade whithin 30yrs. Soo if you pay ££££££s for a modern painting you'l only have a blank canvas later's.

I use household to paint wet paint signs. :LOL:

If you are expecting people to pay good money for your artwork you should be using proper "Artist Quality" paint. This has natural pigments in it that will not fade over tens, even hundreads of years that is why it costs more as the pigments are more expensive to obtain. Even student quality acrylics only have synthetic pigment that may fade after 10-20 years.

Most af the artists paint is availably in much bigger amounts than the typical tubes and the savings on say 1lts of paint can be a quater of what it would cost for the same amount in tubes.

The other problem with household paint is that it has a much thinner consistancy than tube paint so will need more coats and will not have the depth of colour.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Wow! I didn't expect so many replies so soon! Thank you guys!

I also asked a manufacturer about the issue, but i have no reply (so far) Probably no one wants to say, that 'our paint will fade in time' nor 'there's no difference, only in the price' ;)

I think it's the best to make my own natural paint - yes, i've asked the eco paint companies too but they didn't recommended that i use their paint for artistic purpuses... -surprising, since before synthetics the only available stuff was: natural pigments mixed with egg yolk, wax, cottage cheese....(it make one wonder about the expiring date of artworks, yet the paintings in e.g. Egypt are still OK. :LOL: )

Like this i could even feel no guilt when i wash my brushes and let the dirty water down the sink... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back