Can I add 2 branches on a lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’m trying to work out a way to add 2 new lighting circuits in my kitchen. I was thinking of replacing a ceiling rose with a junction box then running 2 new branches from the box for each light.

Providing the connectors, junction box and cables are correct size would this be ok?
thanks

Sponsored Links
They are junction boxes but not compatible with many modern light fittings. Need junction box hidden

Sponsored Links
Looks like a decent bit of kit but I need a box that can handle 8 wires! 4 wires already in the ceiling rose, 2 new wires for the extra lighting and 2 switch wires.

I'm coming down through the floorboards!

These can take 8 cables but that means 24 wires so doesn't have enough terminals for all the different wire uses.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html

You could obviously use 2 of them.

These are designed as Maintenance Free junction boxes which may be left in inaccessible places but I don't think it would be a good idea to have all these connections which you cannot get at when finished.

I think it would be better if you designed the circuit better so that all the cables terminate at a light position as does the existing light.

So, one new cable from the existing light to first new light and then on to second new light with switch cables from each new light to switch position.

Agreed design is probably not the best. Yes 3 lights 3 switches (old kitchen light plus under cupboards LEDs and over hob spot lights).

You're right ceiling roses are most practical but just don't fit in a modern sleek kitchen :/

If all the switches are going to be in the same place, perhaps it would be better to 'start again'.

Take the supply to the new switch position and run a cable from each switch to each light.

You say there are four cables at the existing light - one will be the supply, one will take the supply to the next room, one will be the switch cable.
Do you know what the other one is for?

If not, post a picture of the rose wiring. Just copy and paste a picture or drag to reply box.

Bring the supply to the switch!! I didn't consider that a more elegant solution. I'm going to have to draw this on paper and find a wiring diagram online...took me a while to understand my current lighting circuit as is, thanks.

Oh the 4th cable is for the light bulb!:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back